We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day spent walking Via Appia

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
560 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Day spent walking Via Appia

I was planning to spend a day walking the Via Appia, just starting out at the Porta San Sebastiano and seeing how far I got. Is that the best thing to do, because I have heard some people say that it is best to start from the catacombs. I am staying near San Giovanni in Laterano which seems to be within easy walking distance of the Porta San Sebastiano (I hate talking transport anywhere).

Also, is the Via Appia now a national park - would it be closed on such holidays as Christmas Day?

Mentioned in this post
Porta San Sebastiano
Porta San Sebastiano
35 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Likely To Sell Out
Vatican Museums Skip the Line Tour...
23,428 Reviews
from US$83.10*
Likely To Sell Out
Sistine Chapel VIP Private Viewing...
537 Reviews
from US$415.60*
Likely To Sell Out
Rome Colosseum Underground Chambers...
2,918 Reviews
from US$124.70*
Special Offer
Ancient Rome and Colosseum Skip the...
11,809 Reviews
from US$61.20*
US$68.00
St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,332 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day spent walking Via Appia

The Via Appia is a street and as such doesn't get closed, and mosern cars drive down it. It is closed to Traffic (not bus traffic) on Sundays. The part of the via Appia from the St Sebastion Gate to the tomb of Cecilia Metella has very little shoulder to it and you have to avoid the cars except on Sunday (when you only have to avoid buses on some stretches of it

www.slowphotos.com/photo/showphoto.php…

The structures and the Musuems on the Appia way are often not open on Mondays and holidays. The catacombs (3 sets of them on/near theAppian Way) have theri own hours.

the tomb of thje Scipios just north of the St Sebastian Gate is really cool

Google map of Via Appia

maps.google.com/maps/ms…

Mentioned in this post
Cecilia Metella
Cecilia Metella
219 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Rome
Level Contributor
372 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Day spent walking Via Appia

Lupaling gave you great info, just one more tip on top of that: if you plan to walk the appian way on a week day just be careful with cars/buses as sidewalks are very reduced or non existing at all!

Ciao

Paola

Level Contributor
905 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Day spent walking Via Appia

I've driven and I've walked the road from Porta San Sebastiano then under the highway then to the Park's headquarters building. It is the most dangerous road I've ever walked. There is no shoulder and you must walk against a high wall the provides no escape. It is all on Street View. You could take the metro to the Giulio Agricolo (sp?) station and walk into the Park where the aqueducts are. From there, you could walk to v Appia Antica.

Mentioned in this post
Porta San Sebastiano
Porta San Sebastiano
35 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
560 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day spent walking Via Appia

Oh dear, thank you for that advice - that does not sound very comfortable at all. It sounds like I would be better taking the above advice, going to Giulio Agricolo and then just walking in the park. I am just looking for a place with a bit of greenery/nature and a bit of ancient history, it doesn't have to be the actual Via Appia. I had images of the end of the film "Spartacus", the road where all the rebels are crucified, not crouching against walls as traffic roars past!

Level Contributor
905 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Day spent walking Via Appia

The park is beautiful and the aqueducts are spectaluar. I think but I do not know that a public bus stops at the park hq so you might look into that. One time I took the archeobus which was a great way to go, but I have no current information about it. The park's website has a map and you will see that the park is quite large with many different possible walks. I never meant to discourage you. But that 1/4 mile walled part is something that I would never do again with traffic.

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
2,455 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day spent walking Via Appia

If you can make your way up by bus to the end of the "traffic" part of Appia Way, you can walk along the old cobblestones without any traffic. That's the part where you really to get the feel of the old Appian Way.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,332 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day spent walking Via Appia

That is why it is not a such a bad idea to take the Metro to the Coli-albani metro stop and then the 660 bus down to the via Appia near the Tomb of Cecilia Metella.

the road gets a little wider there. Past where the Via Pignelli (near the St Sebastian Catacombs) branches off the Appian way, more of the traffic gets diverted down that street and eventually Via Appia Nuovo instad fo the the Via Appia Antica where the park and the monuments are.

If you walk south from the Tomb of Cecilica Metells there is a area xcalled the Archeologial Promenade which I think they used in filming HBO's Rome series

"The section running from the Cecilia Metella Belvedere to Casal Rotondo is the

stretch with the highest concentration of monuments, providing an uninterrupted

series of sepulchral buildings of various kinds on both sides, built using different

construction techniques and dating from the Republican era to the late Imperial era.

The monuments range from the simple collective cremation tomb, usually below

ground, the columbarium, to individual or family tombs, in the shape of an altar, or

an aedicule on a four-sided base, to the more elevated tower-shaped sepulchres, for

the most part reduced to a single nucleus of concrete without its original cladding. A

further typical part of this road’s landscape are the small temple tombs on two storeys

made of brickwork and often in two colours; the circular design mausoleums with a

cone-shaped roof are quite common along this street and recall the tradition of

tumulus graves; then there are certified brickwork mausoleums from the III-IV

centuries A.D., either with a circular design or articulate and with a dome ceiling."

parcoappiaantica.it/en/pdf/itinerario2.pdf

I visited the Villa of the Quintili last April on a sunday, but I took Bus 118 all the way to the end and then bus 654

I( don't know if how often any the public transprot runs on holidays.

Mentioned in this post
Metro'
Metro'
26 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Cecilia Metella
Cecilia Metella
219 Reviews
Rome, Italy
8. Re: Day spent walking Via Appia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 22:42