We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What You Wish Someone Would of Told You Before You Went...

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
110 posts
109 reviews
Save Topic
What You Wish Someone Would of Told You Before You Went...

Have been following this thread about Paris and it was so helpful. We are a family of 4 (19yo & 16yo) travelling through Europe from Australia. We will be in Rome in a week - Thanks to all of the contributors your advice has been invaluable..

Cheers

Susan

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What You Wish Someone Would of Told You Before You Went...

Funny how often that wise question comes up!

Try....

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/SearchForums?scope=2&ff=20&geo=187768&q=wish+i%27d+known+peter&sub-search.x=0&sub-search.y=0&returnTo=__2F__

... or if that won't open, this...

http://preview.tinyurl.com/cra7mr7

Peter

Bay Village, Ohio
Level Contributor
937 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What You Wish Someone Would of Told You Before You Went...

Try to relax, take things as they come, enjoy the sights and sounds of the city and have a wonderful time!

Carlsbad, CA
Level Contributor
214 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What You Wish Someone Would of Told You Before You Went...

Walk...everywhere!!! There are amazing things to be seen around every corner...amazing things that are not necessarily in the guidebooks :)

Charles City, Iowa
Level Contributor
264 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What You Wish Someone Would of Told You Before You Went...

There are ample reliable taxis and cars right outside the airport, they take you directly to your hotel or apartment for about 50 euros, and it is well worth it not to begin your wonderful vacation in Rome fighting with luggage and public transportation! Also, stay in a central location (we prefer Campo dei Fiori) and you are in comfortable walking distance to everything...Piazza Navona, Vatican, Pantheon, Trevi Fountain, Colosseum, Forum and Trastevere. One more tip,,,we didn't discover this until our third trip to Rome...be sure to go to the top of the Vittorio Emanuele Monument for the best view of Rome, by far. Think Rick Steves has specific directions in his Rome book.

5. Re: What You Wish Someone Would of Told You Before You Went...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 05 December 2011, 03:45
Edited: 05 December 2011, 03:45
Taylorsville, Utah
Level Contributor
1,242 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: What You Wish Someone Would of Told You Before You Went...

I wish I had known how and where to find a licensed taxi at the airport and what the fee is. I got ripped off big time. I also wish I had known about the Roma Pass and had been aware that most museums are closed Mondays.That way I could have included the Capitoline Museum when we saw the Forum, Colosseum and Palatine. It would have been much more convenient that way..

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
477 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What You Wish Someone Would of Told You Before You Went...

If during your day you wish to stop for a quick drink or coffee, do what the locals do and have it at the bar......its cheaper and fun......then when you are ready to stop for a longer break, choose a cafe/bar in interesting location, enjoy the food, atmosphere, don`t be afraid to try a little Italian with your waiter/waitress. Take this also as opportunity to do some peoplewatching, always fun in Rome. Enjoy your stay!

Texas
Level Contributor
140 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: What You Wish Someone Would of Told You Before You Went...

My two cents. Walk everywhere, when your feet hurt stop and enjoy a nice drink, either coffee, beer or wine. Sit back, relax and pretend like your a local for a few minutes. Also look up, half of the beauty of Rome missed when you look eye level and down.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,604 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: What You Wish Someone Would of Told You Before You Went...

Most of these things are actually included in guidebooks - the info about RomaPass, the official taxis, standing vs sitting at a cafe, etc.

I am still amazed at how many people no longer use guidebooks.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,669 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What You Wish Someone Would of Told You Before You Went...

Actually, people don't read much of anything any more.

The corollary is that writing has become, shall we say, impressionistic.