We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rome to pisa train?

ISTANBUL
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Topic
rome to pisa train?

I got Trenitalia webpage and wrote my journey details and they give me some solution containing some regional trains with bold or red letters for journey.E.g: 12:15 rome TE(first) RO OST(red letter) RM TRAS(red letter) from rome to pisa in the same box from rome to pisa. Whats that? Should I change my train in the red ones or they are stops to collect people for same train?

So complex for me Italia train webpage: My IQ is not enough for it :)) I think regional tickets doesnt offer seat guarantee, who comes first, seats first??

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: rome to pisa train?

Black (TE - Termini) is where the train starts; red (OST - Ostiense, TRAS - Trastevere) means the train stops there.

Regionale trains do not have reserved seats; it's first come, first served (or seated).

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,117 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: rome to pisa train?

ROMA TE in black means that the train starts from Rome Termini (the main station). RO OST and RM TRAS in red means that the train also stops at Rome Ostiense and Rome Travstevere.

Regionale trains have no seat reservations: you get on the train and sit in any seat.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: rome to pisa train?

There's no reason to buy regional train tickets ahead of time online. They're like city bus tickets, and can be used on any regional train on the route. You stamp them and get on the train. I recommend you buy these at the station, where they have convenient multi-lingual ticket machines.

Edited: 21 December 2011, 10:49
ISTANBUL
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: rome to pisa train?

thanks for help

Roma
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
11,725 posts
577 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: rome to pisa train?

Don't assume that you have to leave from Termini. Leaving from Roma Ostiense or Roma Trastevere you'd save a little time and a little money.

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,828 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: rome to pisa train?

It depends on the category of train you take: the Frecciabianca train does not stop at Ostiense or Trastevere. The Intercity trains stops at Ostiense but not at Trastevere. The unreserved regionale train stops at both Ostiense and Trastevere

Be very aware of the category of train that you select for your trip..

Note that taking the fastest train (the Frecciabianca) with the cheapest advance-purchase promotional"MINI" fare, will actually cost less than paying the regular, non-discountable fare for the slower unreserved regionale train.

HOWEVER, with the "MINI" fare, you cannot make any changes to the departure time or date on the day of travel, and reservation changes are otherwise subject to restrictions and to a fare increase. This is not the case if you take the regionale train, where the paper ticket is valid for two months from issuance (as long as not "validated" at the train station prior to boarding) on ANY regionale train travelling between Rome and Pisa, on any day and at any time during the two month validity of the ticket. Seats on the regionale train are unreserved, as contrasted to seats on the faster trains (Frecciabianca and Intercity).

If you know exactly when you want/need to travel, taking advantage of the cheap "MINI" fare on the Frecciabianca train is a good plan (as long as you are VERY cognizant of the shortcomings and dangers of accepting the "MINI" fare on the fast trains).

The regionale trains do not offer the "MINI" fare.

"MINI" fare discounts range between 10% and 60% of the regular "base" fare. Usually, the earlier you book, the greater the odds of getting one of the more generous discounts.

Note that on the Rome/Pisa line, finding very low "MINI" fares is relatively easier than on other lines such as Rome/Venice and Rome/Florence.

Sarasota, Florida...
Level Contributor
838 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: rome to pisa train?

You can go to the raileurope website (in English) and select your route. I find it is usually cheaper to then purchase the actual ticket from trenItalia. I just like the design of the raileurope website:

raileurope.com/us/…

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
1,510 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: rome to pisa train?

I'm confused between responses #1 and #2.

RM TRAS means it will stop at Trastevere, or the journey ends in Trastevere? Will it continue to Termini?

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
1,510 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: rome to pisa train?

I should have been clearer in my question.

I'm looking at the schedule from Bracciano to Roma. And it shows both RM OST and RM TRAS. I'd like to know if the train will continue to termini.

Thanks.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,117 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: rome to pisa train?

Please take the time to read replies #1 and #2. What part of them do you not understand?