We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheap eats

memphis
Level Contributor
386 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Cheap eats

Can anyone give me suggestions for cheap fast food? I will be staying at Hotel Quirinale, Via Nazionale 7. Any info appreciated.

Thanks

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,318 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheap eats

You will find that all cafes and restaurants have menus with prices posted outside.

There are cafes selling pannini (rolls) to go, pizza to go by the slice and so on, no problems. There will also be Tavolo Calda or Hot Food where you can choose what you want to eat, pay for it and then be served with the food.

If you buy take away and then sit down they will be cross with you. Food served at the table attracts an additional price, similarly for a drink or coffee sitting down vs standing at the bar.

Supermarkets in Italy are fairly inconspicuous but inside have a wealth of take away food, beautiful meats and cheeses. They will often prepare you a pannini for a picnic and also often have cool drinks in the fridge.

For a meal however, fast food is the antithesis of Italian food philosophy, which is to relax, eat with friends and enjoy the meal. The "slow food" movement is Italian. For this reason some places may close between 12 and 2 for a nice long lunch, and this can include some smaller sights and churches. Dinner is usually eaten after 8pm.

memphis
Level Contributor
386 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheap eats

Thank you so much for this information, I appreciate it.

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheap eats

On Via del Viminale not far from your hotel, there's a cheap hole in the wall that serves porchetta (traditional roast pork), generally in a panino.

Are you planning to spend all day in your hotel? If not, there are cheap take-out pizza al taglio places all over Rome. You tell them how large a slice you want, they cut it, weigh it and tell you how much it costs. There are three in the historic center very close to each other: on Campo de' Fiori, on Via dei Chiavari and on Via Florida.

Dordrecht, The...
Level Contributor
476 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheap eats

I would recommend Pizzeria Luzzi (tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g187791-…) which is located near the Colloseum; easy to reach by Metro.

My meal there was the cheapest I had during my stay in Rome and it was very tasty too. My roommates recommended the tiramisu for dessert and I am glad I listened to them.

Level Contributor
905 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheap eats

Well assuming that you are from Memphis then the previous recommendation for porchetta is a perfect fit. Er Buchetto, via del Viminale near your hotel is exactly as recommended.  I think (guessing) that they cook a whole pig every day.  It is basic cheap and good.  No slaw, but when in Rome ... try their version of a pork sandwich. There was a line out the door.   

memphis
Level Contributor
386 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Cheap eats

all of you are great! Thanks!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Cheap eats

Zerlina,

What is the name of this place on Via del Viminale? Our hotel is on that street and panini with porchetta is on my "what to do/try in Italy" list!

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Cheap eats

It's given in post No. 5: Er Buchetto.

http://erbuchetto.wordpress.com/

Kent, England
Level Contributor
2,980 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cheap eats

If you go to the Spagna metro station, close to the Spanish Steps of course, you will find a really good take away pizza place just outside the station. It must be good, it was being well used by local people when I visited last time! Can't recall its name, but its literally a few yards from the metro entrance. Very good, very cheap too.

10. Re: Cheap eats

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 January 2013, 10:21