We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

11.4 million 'arrivals' and 28m 'presences'

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
11.4 million 'arrivals' and 28m 'presences'

If their forecast is to be believed, the capital has seen a quite startling boom in tourism this year - despite the crisis, and the new hotel tax.

Almost an extra million visitors on 2010 and an increase of 7.5% in total stays, for an average of over 77,000 guests each night....

…repubblica.it/cronaca/…

I tend to ignore the 'Arrivals' numbers, since there's no way to separate out those who may stop off in Rome once, twice or three times during their vacation - however the rise in "Presences" is more telling, and probably explains why it's ever more difficult to find a decently-priced hotel room!

Peter

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
6,032 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 11.4 million 'arrivals' and 28m 'presences'

Hi Peter

Do you think this increase may have been due to the Beatification of Pope John Paul in May 2010 ? We were there for that and I believe and extra 6 million visitors too

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 11.4 million 'arrivals' and 28m 'presences'

May 2011, perhaps...

But it's difficult to believe 6 million people came for that event - more than half the year's total?

At the time, the BBC quoted the city police's estimate of a million...

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-13251415

Peter

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
6,032 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 11.4 million 'arrivals' and 28m 'presences'

sorry .. I ment 2011 ... :-)

Most probably I read it wrong regarding the 6 million...but it felt like it lol

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 11.4 million 'arrivals' and 28m 'presences'

I can imagine!

Peter

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,736 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 11.4 million 'arrivals' and 28m 'presences'

Honestly, given the number of people I meet there on each of my trips who have flown over from somewhere else that offers those incredibly cheap flights on the low cost airlines, I can't help but think that has contributed to these numbers. I met a number of people who just came to Rome for the weekend from London or for three or four days over from Sweden, France, the Netherlands, etc.

I can't blame them - boy, if I lived somewhere that could get me to Rome for about the same price (and, in some cases less) as the flat taxi fare from the Rome airport to city center, I'd be flying in and out of the country - a lot. Why not - given also the short flight times.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,415 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 11.4 million 'arrivals' and 28m 'presences'

A great many of the pilgrims in Italy for the beatification of John Paul II were day trippers, who probably didn't get counted as either arrivals or presences, which, I believe, are based on hotel stays. Our little town sent a busload all by itself.

London
Level Contributor
982 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 11.4 million 'arrivals' and 28m 'presences'

This is just a personal comment from someone who once lived in Rome a long long time ago.

When I call my mother, who has a quaint little workshop in the city centre, and we discuss the crisis and the effect of the recent austerity measures, she often quips "Crisis? What crisis? All I see is cars, traffic and roads full of people"

With 11.4m arrivals I am not surprised!!

Happy New Year

Giorgio Federico

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
6,032 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 11.4 million 'arrivals' and 28m 'presences'

Momcat

I'm one of the hoardes that fly in and aout of Italy lol !

Thats why I always use the bus as the taxi is often more expensive than my flight !

Looking forward to many travels in the New year, once winter is over, Jan flights from Liverpool to Rome 8 pounds one way, with extra fees of course courtesy of Ryanair ! But i'll wait till around March

9. Re: 11.4 million 'arrivals' and 28m 'presences'

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 January 2013, 10:22