We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 night stay -- First Timers Itinerary

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Galveston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,129 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
4 night stay -- First Timers Itinerary

Hi, We'll [Mum, Dad and DD] be in Rome next week for daughter's 21st birthday, for 4 night over 11th-15th. Staying at Hotel delle Nazioni, on Via Poli 7, 00187

Here's the rough plan so far;

Wed 11th -- Arrive FCO noon. Still deciding whether to take taxi into city, or the €4 bus then metro which a friend recommeded. Check out Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps and Pantheon. Thinking if maybe doing the Free Rome Tour at 5:30pm by the Spanish Steps, if feeling up to it. Stroll around Trastevere and find somewhere for dinner

Thurs 12th -- Daughter's 21st. Colosseum, Forum and Palentine Hill

Any rec's for a birthday dinner anywhere, up to €40pp, no seafood. Enjoy steak, pasta and pizzas

Fri 13th -- Vatican City [The Vatican, Sistine Chapel and St Peters] and Castle of San Angelo. In what order do you think we shoud do this day? What time should we be a the Vatican for? I don't really plan on prebooking tickets as I January is a offpeak time

Sat 14th -- No plans really, what do you think we should do? I was thinking Piazza's and shopping, where would a 21yr old be shopping?

Sun 15th -- Morning Flight back home

Thank you.

PDX
Level Contributor
67 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 night stay -- First Timers Itinerary

If your daughter is into designer gear then the streets around the Spanish steps are filled with wonderful designers.... Via del Corso, Via del Babuino, Via Ripetta, Via Condotti.

We took our first trip to Rome in September and loved it. We got to the Vatican pretty early and joined the line to St Peters (as we had seen the Sistine Chapel the Friday night before). The line was long, but progressed quite quickly.

There were 2 places I really loved in Rome - and I didn't expect to be moved by them as much as I was.

The first was San Pietro in Vincoli - en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Pietro_in_Vincoli

This is where Michaelangel's Moses is. I've seen a lot of different art all over the world and this was incredible. If you go, make sure you have some change with you as the status is not lit until you put some coins in to help pay for electricity.

The second was the Capuchin Crypt - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capuchin_Crypt

Yes, it's slightly macabre, but I found the entire experience very humbling. You can't take photos in there and from what I recollect entry is by donation. If you want, you can purchase postcards which show the contents of the crypt. There is nothing like this anywhere in the world that I know of.

Oh, another place I really liked was the Bocca della Verita - en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bocca_della_Verit%C3%A0

I had to have my Audrey Hepburn moment. Don't be put off by the size of the line, it also moves quickly. We joined the line when it was outside and down the block a little. It only took about 10 minutes to reach the front. If you go here, make sure you also check out the church and the crypt - it's really interesting.

Also, Rick Steves has a brilliant night walk - nothing like seeing the fountain all lit up of a night time!

Have a wonderful time!

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
1,053 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 night stay -- First Timers Itinerary

When I went to the Vatican last week, there was a 1-hour line around 10am. after we were done with the museum at around 2pm, there was no line so maybe visit the basilica first in the morning and the museum in the afternoon.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
32,283 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 night stay -- First Timers Itinerary

If you're there for your daughters birthday I would say to splurge for the cab. It's a lot easier than a bus and a transfer to the metro.

For Friday I would buy entry tickets or book a tour of the museums. Both allow you to bypass the lines and go straight inside. Even though January is considered off-peak there will still be lines to the museums and the basilica that could take an hour or so if you plan on going in the morning. If your plan is to go in the afternoon then you won't need to book tickets as the line is usually gone by 1 pm or so. If you take the tour you can also go directly into the basilica afterwards without waiting in the security line. If you go early you can spend the afternoon visiting the Castle Sant Angelo and other sites you may have missed.

Donna

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
547 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 night stay -- First Timers Itinerary

Keep in mind that it only takes 2-3 hours to tour the Vatican and the Forum/Coliseum. so you may want to plan events for the afternoons. If you go to San Pietro in Vincoli - en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Pietro_in_Vincoli which I highly recommend, check out Saint Peters chains under the alter. It is a short walk from the Coliseum. I advise take the taxi from the airport. I thought it was quite a bit out from the center of town. Others may not think so. Quick and easy. No problem finding food for 40 euro pp. The Spanish Steps to Trevi Fountain is a very short walk. I would probably try to do it early to avoid the crowds. I would book in advance anything you can. More importunately, we spent the same amount of time as you in Rome last summer. Our schedule was so full that I didn't feel like we got the real taste of Roman culture and street life. You may want to consider this

Edited: 05 January 2012, 14:37
Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
1,053 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 night stay -- First Timers Itinerary

4 nights is fine. we spent 3 nights in rome and we felt it was the perfect length. another night we would probably have done a day trip because we didn't know what else to do in rome.

Galveston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,129 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 night stay -- First Timers Itinerary

Thanks guys.

Friday is giving me the most hassle. I've had a look on the offical Vatican site, and they only have 2 open slots at 11:30am or 2pm for a tour of the Vatican and Sistine Chapel. Does anyone know if this tour shows you the spiral staircase?

If I were to book this, do you think it would be best to do St Peters first,go up to the dome. Then the tour, and afterwards Castle of San Angelo.

Or with no time constrants; Castle of San Angelo, St Peters, then the Vatican and Sistine Chapel?

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
111 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 night stay -- First Timers Itinerary

Rec for your Daughter's 21st is Ristorante Casacoppelle close to Pantheon (no seafood)

Edited: 10 January 2012, 23:17
8. Re: 4 night stay -- First Timers Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 January 2013, 10:20