We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Squeeze in Venice or skip altogether?

Sunrise, FL
Level Contributor
38 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Squeeze in Venice or skip altogether?

Hi everyone,

I've been reading all the helpful tips and advice posted on the forum and it's been a great asset in planning my first ever europe trip this May.

My itinerary is as follows:

May 28 - Fly into London

May 31 Eurostar to Paris

June 3 - Fly to Venice

June 5 - Trentitalia to Rome

June 7 - Fly to US

This is my problem. I know the itinerary is a little rushed and we're contemplating skipping Venice to spend more time in Rome. If we include Venice, the only flights available from Paris are early morning (8am) or late at night arriving at 8pm. Neither really works for us as we plan to party on saturday night.

Should we bite the bullet and make the early flight to Venice, or should we just skip it and fly to Rome and spend more time there instead?

Thanks.

Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
6,290 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Squeeze in Venice or skip altogether?

Spend your time in Rome. IMO you are already squeezing in too much, skipping Venice this trip makes sense.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
290 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Squeeze in Venice or skip altogether?

I would recommend no more than two cities in such a short time. It will be worth your while to do read a few guide books on each of these cities and then based on what you truly want to see, decide how much time to spend where. The way you have your itinerary will mean spending a great deal of your time going to and from airports/hotels/train stations.

If you are set on seeing so much in such a short time, perhaps you should consider going with an organized tour.

UK
Level Contributor
212 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Squeeze in Venice or skip altogether?

I didn't expect to like Venice but I loved it. Am a great fan of Rome also. They are very different places. Would walk in Venice as you see more and the water taxis are very dear. Wasn't too impressed by the places you pay entry fees for prefer just to walk about and soak in the atmosphere. Paris is a tiring city as it is so spread out. Rome is much more compact and the buses and metro are good.

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
1,970 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Squeeze in Venice or skip altogether?

As much as I love Venice I would save it for another trip. It looks like you're visiting 3 cities in 9 days (which in reality is probably 2 1/2 days apiece). I've been to all those cities and each deserves a whole lot more time than that but I understand the desire to fit in as much as possible. Each traveler is different but to not feel like you need a vacation after your vacation, I think you'd get more out of just picking two cities - but it's your vacation!

albuquerque
Level Contributor
976 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Squeeze in Venice or skip altogether?

3 different countries in such a short time is really a lot. I would definitely eliminate 1 city. Personally I'd skip London and spend my time in Paris and Rome. You could easily spend 4 - 5 days (or much longer) in each.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
33 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Squeeze in Venice or skip altogether?

Skip Venice for this trip and spend your extra time in Rome. It sounds like getting to Venice is not really convenient on this trip. Give yourself a break and spend your extra time in Rome.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Squeeze in Venice or skip altogether?

Assuming you arrive in London on the 28th (rather than leaving the US on the 28th), you have 2 1/2 days in both London and Paris, and 1 1/2 days in Rome. All three are big cities with a lot to see. You have nine full days altogether, and three of them will largely be eaten up by travel and changing hotels. At the very least, I would skip Venice. If possible, I would try to add a few days to your trip, in which case you might be able to see all four cities. However, I would spend just one night in Venice even so, just to get a glimpse of the city, so that you'd have time to enjoy the other three cities.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
32,861 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Squeeze in Venice or skip altogether?

You are planning too much in too little time. As mentioned, you'll lose the better part of a day traveling between cities and checking in and out of hotels. I would either add 3-5 days or cut out two countries and spend the entire time in one.

This being your first trip you are like a lot of people who underestimate the time necessary to change locations. The train from Venice to Rome takes 4 hours. Add to that the amount of time to check out of the hotel, get to the station early to board the train, get off the train and get to your new hotel and then check in and you're talking about 7 hours. That's the whole day! It"s the same going from London to Paris and Paris to Venice. You won't get to see much of the cities you've listed because you'll be traveling so much.

Donna

Sunrise, FL
Level Contributor
38 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Squeeze in Venice or skip altogether?

Thanks for all your input! I knew adding a fourth city to the itinerary might have been too much and the more I thought about it the more I felt it was not really possible. So we'll skip Venice this time around.

Since this is our first trip, we're not planning on doing it all, just an overview of the great cities. In the future we'll do single country more in depth visits.

Thanks again for the great advice!

Dordrecht, The...
Level Contributor
476 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Squeeze in Venice or skip altogether?

I would suggest skipping London and/or Paris.