We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thoughts on my Rome itinerary?

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
168 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Thoughts on my Rome itinerary?

I will be in Rome for three full days in early February. I'm an art history student so am pretty interested in the art side of things. I went to Rome in 2008 so things like the Colosseum are not top of my list anymore. So far my itinerary looks like this:

Day One:

Arrive Fiumicino from London 10:35.

If all goes to plan and my flight is not delayed, I hope to visit the Capitoline Museums and possibly Trajan's Forum that afternoon.

Day Two:

09:15 Scavi Tour at the Vatican.

Vatican Museums

Capuchin Crypt

Sant’Agostino

San Luigi dei Francesi

Pantheon

Piazza Navona

Day Three:

11:00 Galleria Borghese

Santa Maria del Popolo

San Luigi dei Francesi

Sant’Agostino

Pantheon

Day Four:

Ara Pacis

Galleria Nazionale d’Art Antica (Palazzo Barberini)

Day Five:

Doria Pamphilj Gallery

Possible Colosseum

depart Roma Termini 15:15 for Florence.

I feel that Day Two is probably too full and will probably have to move some of those things to Day Four, what are your thoughts on this?

Anything not here that I shouldn't miss?

Scavi Tour & Galleria Borghese are booked.

Thanks!

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Thoughts on my Rome itinerary?

You have Sant'Agostino, San Luigi dei Francesi and the Pantheon on Days Two *and* Three. The Capuchin Crypt is not near anything else on Day Two; visit it before the Galleria Borghese; it's closed Thursdays.

UK
Level Contributor
588 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thoughts on my Rome itinerary?

Just a small thing..we went to Rome last weekend and went to pantheon on sat late afternoon and again on sunday morning and both times there was a mass on and we couldn't go I..the only disappointment of our otherwise perfect weekend

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,018 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Thoughts on my Rome itinerary?

You may want to check what is on exhibit here when you are in Rome:

http://english.scuderiequirinale.it/Home.aspx

Also, you could look over inromenow.com/site%20templates/ArtsMuseums.h…

Have a wonderful trip.

Fort Myers, FL
Level Contributor
14 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thoughts on my Rome itinerary?

Just a thought - we saw the catacombs of San Sebastian today and they were amazing. MUCH more ancient than the capuchins.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thoughts on my Rome itinerary?

The "Capuchin crypt" is not a catacomb at all and really has no historic or artistic merit. It's recent, and not at its original site. The only think it has going for it is creepiness.

For artistic merit, I prefer the Priscilla catacomb to the others.

For a student of art history, I urge you to visit the Egyptian and Etruscan collections at the Vatican Museums, which very few people see in their mad stampede to the Sistine Chapel.

springfield
Level Contributor
167 posts
352 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thoughts on my Rome itinerary?

I went to Trajan's forum this past summer and while the view was great, I don't feel it was a "must see." I would not go back. If you want a view and a Renaissance treat, try Castel San Angelo which you could go to after the Ara Pacis.

Your itinerary does miss some of the Roman patriarchal churches like Santa Maria Maggiorre; San Giovanni in Laterano (beautiful monastery and holy stairs). If you are a student of art history, you should see the first Jesuit church that set the standard: San Ignazio, and don't forget the beautiful medieval churches of Santa Maria in Trastevere. One of my favorite churches is Baslica San Clemente, and it has the famed paintings of Catherine of Alexandria. In addition to Villa Borghese, which is a must, I have really enjoyed tours of Villa Medici and the Villa in Trastevere along the river. Together those three make a nice addition to Renaissance history. You also might want to see Michelangelo's statue of Julius II (near Colosseum). Santa Maria Sopra Minerva has the body of St. Catherine of Siena, and a Michelangelo statue as well as some artist's burials. I think you might prefer some of these other churches if you can fit them into your schedule! Enjoy!

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thoughts on my Rome itinerary?

Trajan's market is very interesting, and is one of the most intact ancient Roman buildings in the city. If you visit the market, you can walk through this multistory Roman building, which was mostly used for administrative offices, although there were shops at ground level. You can also walk along the ancient Roman Via Biberatica, where these shops were. It's still paved with ancient Roman paving blocks, and most of the buildings along the road are from the Roman era, although the upper stories are often later additions. On the door sills, you can see the grooves of the shutters that were used to shut up an ancient Roman shop at night,

https:/…5353613687473404098

https:/…5353613687473404098

You may want to see more photos in this album:

https:/…Rome

To me, this *is* one of the must-sees in Rome, but everyone has different interests, which is why I hesitate to give people a list of must-sees.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thoughts on my Rome itinerary?

Villa Medici until recently was closed to the public, and when I was there, they had guided tours only in Italian and French. (It belongs to the French Embassy.) I see that they now have tours also in English, so it would definitely be worth going there:

villamedici.it/en/event/144/guided-tours-in-…

I think the villa referred to in Trastevere must be the Villa Farnesina, which has very nice frescoes, including some by Raphael:

www.lincei.it/modules.php…

Across the street from Villa Farnesina is the Corsini Gallery, which has an excellent but small collection of art originally belonging to the Corsini family. There are works by Beato Angelico and Caravaggio, among others. As long as you're there, it's worth stopping in, and the entrance is only 5 euros.

Another French Embassy possession, the Palazzo Farnese, near the Campo de' Fiori, has also greatly expanded its visits and added an English option. Formerly, you had to apply for permission to visit and the tours were only in Italian or French. This is also a very worthwhile visit:

inventerrome.com/palais-farnese/visiting-the…

I always say that even a month in Rome wouldn't exhaust its possibilities. These are all places that would be on the top of the list in most other cities, but most people who visit Rome never hear of them.

Edited: 31 January 2012, 10:05
9. Re: Thoughts on my Rome itinerary?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 31 January 2012, 12:05
10. Re: Thoughts on my Rome itinerary?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 February 2013, 10:24