We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best area to stay in rome

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
mumbai
Level Contributor
19 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
best area to stay in rome

hi people.

i need your advice, which is the best area to book a hotel in rome. i am confused , which is the best place, as in like a epi centre of the city.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
82,301 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best area to stay in rome

Near Piazza Navona and the Pantheon.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
1,026 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: best area to stay in rome

I guess "best" depends on your interests and priorities. If it's your first time in Rome, then staying in the centro area - which would be the Pantheon, Piazza Navona, the Trevi Fountain, or the Spanish Steps area... would be a enjoyable experience. From any of these you can walk to many parts of Rome. They are especially great later in the evening. For some maps, photos, and links to the best-ranked hotels in the area... and a feeling for where these spots are ... see these accommodations, as rated by venere.com and booking.com guests - Good Luck!

http://tinyurl.com/hotels-pantheon -- http://tinyurl.com/hotels-navona -- http://tinyurl.com/hotel-trevi -- http://tinyurl.com/ssteps

Edited: 08 January 2012, 07:16
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
4,131 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best area to stay in rome

We just stayed on the Campo Di Fiori piazza which is just around the corner from Piazza Navona and the Pantheon and were extremely happy with this location so completely agee with the recommendations above.

Rome is very easy to see and move around with a different site/monument/attraction literally on every corner. As long as you are withing the Historic Centre you can't go wrong...

Brisbane
Level Contributor
1,033 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best area to stay in rome

We took an apartment managed by the Condotti Palace (a search on Trip Advisor will pull it up) near the Spanish Steps last August. Very central - most things were within easy walking distance, and the Metro was also close for when you didn't feel like walking.

Mind you, walking is by far the best way to absorb the city.....

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
95 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best area to stay in rome

We stayed in an apartment on Via dei Pastini with the Pantheon at the end of the street...magical spot. Rome is a very walkable city...we thought it would be bigger but it only took 20 mins to the Colluseum, 10 mins to Trevi (same to Spanish steps) and 5 to P. Navona.

Edited: 08 January 2012, 13:05
New York, NY
Level Contributor
612 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best area to stay in rome

I stayed in Trastevere, on the north end of Viale Trastevere near the bridge over the river. It's not directly in the center of the city, but it is certainly within walking distance of the Vatican, the Forum, the Ghetto, the Pantheon, etc. Trastevere isn't particularly touristy and has a lot of really cute shops, cafes, plazas, and streets to explore. There was even a small daily outdoor market across from where I stayed. When I left my hotel early in the morning and walked into a bar for a (quick) breakfast, I could see the entire neighborhood waking up for work.

Amelia Island...
Level Contributor
868 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best area to stay in rome

We stayed at the Hotel Portoghesi, just 2 blocks north of Piazza Navona. Professional staff, clean, modern accomodations (if a little small) with a nice breakfast upstairs on the top floor and a patio area if the weather is to your liking.

As others have said, Rome is so "walkable" that you can't go wrong staying somewhere in the Pantheon/Piazza Navona/Campo Di Fiori area. In fact, we walked to St. Peters in under 20 minutes. So many nice, family-owned restaurants around as well (avoid the piazza-front ones - better food and much better prices within a block in almost any direction).

Charles City, Iowa
Level Contributor
264 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: best area to stay in rome

'We have learned to love Campo dei Fiori as it's a great place to begin and end your day and everything is comfortably walkable from there. Though we prefer apartments, Hotel Campo dei Fiori gets good reviews.

9. Re: best area to stay in rome

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 February 2013, 10:17