We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A Trip to Rome

Stillwater, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
59 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
A Trip to Rome

I'm depending on my Tripadvisor friends to help me select a nice, economical place to stay while in Rome. I will be spending 5 nights in Rome, then going further south for some more fun and returning to Rome for my last night in Italy. Firstly, can anyone give me suggestions on hotels in Rome that have good reputations and in a good location for sightseeing and then secondly a good airport hotel?

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
33,674 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A Trip to Rome

What is your budget? It's hard to make recommendations without knowing how much you wish to spend. Also, which airport will you be flying into, FCO or CIA?

Stillwater, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
59 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A Trip to Rome

Dbabe- Yes, right. We will flying into and out of FCO. Also, we aren't sure what our money will buy so the price is negotiable. Our only requirement is reputable neighborhood, knowledgeable and courteous staff and clean facilities. This might be a three or four star hotel.

We were given some of these names and I'm wondering if you know anything about them and their locations:

Hotel Bolivar

Hotel Mozart

Hotel Fiume

Thanks so much for your willingness to help. This is why I love Tripadvisor!

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
33,674 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A Trip to Rome

The star system in Italy is not the same as in the States. It indicates amenities and not quality. I suggest you look for hotels that have the amenities you like and not search by star ratings. You can try venere.com for hotels. The most central areas in Rome are the pantheon, navona and trevi areas. These are also the most expensive areas. You'll find great hotels all over Rome. Some that friends and family have stayed at are the Smeraldo, the Albergo del Senato, the Hassler and the Grand de la Minerve.

All of central Rome is safe but beware of the pick pockets. They are everywhere. Use normal precautions and you should be fine.

Donna

CA
Level Contributor
549 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A Trip to Rome

I have to encourage you consider an apartment for your five night stay. I stayed here: http://www.rhomeylets.it for three nights in Sept 2011 and it was wonderful. If it's available, I think you will find that it costs much less than a hotel would be, and the space you have is so much more, and its so much nicer to go back to than a hotel room. Plus the owner is so very helpful and friendly.

Stillwater, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
59 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A Trip to Rome

Thank you much, aafflyer. We have three in our party and I noticed only one bed. Do you think they have availability for two beds?

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
1,026 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: A Trip to Rome

frettingmom, I'd agree an apartment may be your most cost-effective option. There are many 2-BDR apartments available in Rome. We recently booked through sleepinitaly and had a good experience. You can read about our stay here: http://tinyurl.com/Rome-apt

If you're still looking for an airport hotel, you might take a look at this posting: http://tinyurl.com/hotels-fco

It has two lists of the top-rated hotels near the FCO airport, as ranked by venere and booking.com guests. Good Luck in your search.

CA
Level Contributor
549 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A Trip to Rome

You would have to contact the owner, Alesandria. I think there is also a sofa bed from what I remember. But I'm not sure about whether your dates would be available, which would be the first thing you need to determine. But if it was available, Prati is to me the perfect place to stay, especially for a five day stay as it is a lovely neighborhood where you feel like you live in Rome, and not just a touristy area overrun with tourists. And the other sites are either a short walk away (which is perfect for burning off calories), or an easy bus or metro ride away.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A Trip to Rome

You should know that if you stay in an apartment, you'll be pretty much on your own. It's a first trip and you said you wanted a place with "knowledgeable and courteous staff". There is no staff at all at an apartment. Sometimes there is an owner or management agency you can call. Will you have a phone with you? Will you be willing to wait for the answer? Will you be able and willing to make an appointment to get the key, and advise the keyholder if you're arriving late? Are you willing to carry a large amount of cash on you to pay the keyholder the balance of the rental cost on arrival?

aafflyer is really keen on apartments, but never mentions any of the little inconveniences that they involve. I sometimes stay in apartments myself, but I really never advise them for a first-time visitor. I live in Italy, speak the language fluently, have an Italian cell phone, and easy access to all the euros I need to fork over before I can get the key, but still I prefer a hotel. I stay in apartments mostly when traveling with family groups of various ages and requirements.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A Trip to Rome

And that's without shopping for loo rolls and breakfasts, trying to fathom the owner's notes on how appliances work... and other stuff that will eat into your precious time in Rome?

Peter

Stillwater, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
59 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A Trip to Rome

Thank you very much for your valuable information. I will explore all those hotels asap. I had written Genio Hotel, but getting information from them over email is very frustrating. So I'm not sure how cooperative their staff would be once we booked. I'm a little suspicious of that. I also have looked into the Mozart Hotel. Have you heard of that one?

I really cannot fathom renting an apartment, for all the reasons listed above. First and foremost, I do not speak Italian. I have to rely on the concierge to help us in most of our endeavors.

Once again, thank all of you!