We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel question for anyone from California

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
183 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Travel question for anyone from California

We are spending 2 weeks in Italy w/our German relatives. We would fly into Rome but end up in Florence. Right now we are looking at A) train back to Rome, spend afternoon just hangin out in town then spend night by the airport for an 8:00 am flight or B) bus/train to Pisa spend the day seeing the city w/a 10:25 pm flight into London Gatwick, change airports to Heathrow then fly back to CA. 12 hour layover but I guess 3 of it would be getting to Heathrow. I'm just wondering if anyone has done this? We are going in Sept/Oct of this year.

Also as of today airfare $2200 for both of us. I'm thinking this might be pretty good. Thanks for your thoughts! Joanne

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
2,455 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel question for anyone from California

Joanne,

What airline are you taking from Pisa to Gatwick? I don't see any 10:25pm flights on the major airlines.

However, if you are not spending any time in Rome during your trip, then I would go for plan A. Spend a lovely evening in Rome and then either stay out at the airport or stay in downtown Rome but arrange a very very early cab (Romecabs is best) to the airport. You need to be at the airport at least 3 hours before your flight.

But with plan B, you will be so beat after spending a 12 hour layover in London and then your 9 hour (approx) flight home. Sure you can sleep(?) on the plane, but I think it would make a horrid trip.

$2200 for 2 from CA is a pretty good price. I am paying $1500 per person this spring.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel question for anyone from California

The airport change in London is a real pain, and you pay for the transportation between airports yourself. My sister did it once, and took the opportunity to get a glimpse of London. She was going in the other direction; she took the underground into London, then had a cab driver give her a quick tour of London and bring her to Victoria station, where she got the train to Gatwick.

I wouldn't do this transfer myself.

If you choose plan A, I would stay in the center of town rather than *near* the airport, unless you choose to stay right *at* the airport, in the airport HIlton. Getting to the airport from the nearby hotels is nearly as problematic as getting there from central Rome. I usually just get an early taxi from Rome. I have my hotel arrange it for me. A regular city taxi is all you need. Romecabs is a private transfer service and costs more than a city taxi, which has a flat €40 fare.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
263 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel question for anyone from California

Joanne - I flew last April from SFO to Rome on Lufthansa. We flew direct from SFO to Frankfurt and then Frankfurt to Rome (which was great getting to see the Swiss Alps). Flight was easy, as was Frankfurt ap. We flew back from Florence to Frankfurt to SFO. We only paid $920 round trip.

I am going again in May and flying Delta to JFK then to Rome. I'd much rather fly to Europe directly, but I'm meeting my Mom on the est coast to fly together. I paid $890 for that flight. I am also not pleased with having to fly in and out of Rome (we are spending half our time in Tuscany). It adds a lot of extra train travel. However, it was my only choice having to meet her east and fly there.

I would recommend into one ap and out of another for convenience. I have never paid over $1000. Just set up a search on kayak.com and check it daily.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
263 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel question for anyone from California

Sorry think I read your post too fast - why not just fly in and out of Florence on Luthansa? Its one stop in Frankfurt. I found that to be a great flight. They seem to come down in price about 6 months before your date, but I'd check it regularly. Right now it's 1400 per person, but keep an eye on it. Those flights are 13 to 14 hours of travel time which is about quickest you can find.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
183 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel question for anyone from California

Hi Everybody, thanks for the quick replies! We are actually flying into Rome and staying for about 3 days. Then we drive up through Umbria and stay between Sienna and Perugia for 6 days then on to Florence for about 3 to 4 days. Wildcar Sarah I did check Luftansa, hoping to fly through Frankfurt but right now the air is $2800 for both.

Cat7115 and bvlenci thanks for the tip about staying in Rome instead of the airport I love that idea much better! We are staying in a German monastary outside of Rome for the first part of the trip so I am looking forward to finding a little place in town for 1 night. bv you convinced us not to do the Pisa to London. I can never sleep on a plane anyway. Thanks again everyone!

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
10,626 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel question for anyone from California

TheBTeam, please familiarize yourself with Italian driving rules, this link - altho says Tuscany - gives alot of info: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187893-c140065/Tusca… You don't want to come home and one year later start getting fines for driving in a bus lane or parking in the wrong spot, etc.

Drivers from the US need an Int'l Driving Permit which you can get from your local AAA (you don't have to be a member).

Sounds like a wonderful trip, enjoy Bella Italia.

7. Re: Travel question for anyone from California

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 February 2013, 10:17