We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reservations over a hotel reservation!

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
133 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Reservations over a hotel reservation!

Hello there,

My husband and I are staying in Rome for 4 nights at the beginning of May, and on the strength of the reviews on booking.com, and Tripadvisor, coupled with the location, have booked to stay at Maison Giulia, which I know is a B&B and not a hotel.

I was pretty happy with my choice, which was the last room available, until I did a bit more digging and noticed the comments in this forum about how all of the reviews of the accommodation are very recent, and from reviewers who have posted no other reviews on TA. Similarly all of the reviews on booking.com are all within the last year.

We are paying what I would consider to be a reasonable pricey rate of EUR 150 per night for a B&B, although I know it is a peak time to visit Rome. My main concern is if the flurry of recent favourable views is creating demand and that perhaps the place isn't as great as has been implied.

Has anyone stayed at Maison Giulia and any views on it? Just looking for some re-assurance if it is a reasonable choice.

Given our budget there doesn't seem to be much else available in the Navona / Campo De Fiori location. We would need to stretch our budget to stay at an apartment run by the Hotel Campo De Fiori or perhaps stay further out at Termini in the Hotel IQ Roma (which is very well rated here & booking.com, but with far more reviews).

It is our first trip to Rome so all advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Elaine

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
32,779 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reservations over a hotel reservation!

Elaine, I would try to find something else before canceling what you already have. I am like you and don't put much weight into one time posters, be they good or bad. I prefer someone with a posting history though others will disagree.

If you can't find anything in the city center that fits your budget try the termini or colosseum areas. They are both within walking distance of the sites, restaurants, public transport and shopping though they may not be as charming.

Donna

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Reservations over a hotel reservation!

I wouldn't worry about it. The location is very good, one of the loveliest streets in Rome, and there are lots of reviews by people with more than one review. I get the impression that the place only opened around a year ago. The early one-review reviews in Italian *might* have been planted, but there are many good reviews that seem genuine to me. 150 Euro per night is reasonable in that area in high season.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,005 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Reservations over a hotel reservation!

I just took a peek at the reviews and there are quite a few good reviews from people who have more than one review.

No place is perfect but as a location, it is divine. You are on one of the prettiest streets in Rome, just minutes from Ponte Sisto to reach Trastevere, ideally located for many of the sites and parts of Rome that you will probably want to visit - well, it is my personal favorite spot in all of the Rome but that is just me.

I hope it works out. That is a very good price for that time of year.

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
6,115 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reservations over a hotel reservation!

Booking.com only has reviews of guests that have actually stayed there, it is impossible to place a review if you have not booked through them. They send you a review form via email after your visit, unlike TA were anyone can post a review.

Same with venere.com too, I would trust booking.com reveiws and if they are recent thats even better

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
133 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Reservations over a hotel reservation!

Thanks all for your responses. I think I will just keep my existing reservation as location is really important for my visit, and Maison Giulia seems to be very well located. There are a couple of pretty negative reviews on TA but the feedback on booking.com is very positive, so I will just stick with it and hope for the best.

Thanks again.

Elaine

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,717 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Reservations over a hotel reservation!

On booking.com, hotels.com and venere.com , the reviews are all by verified actual guests. Of course, you could pay your cousin to reserve a room through one of these booking sites, stay there, and write a review, but you wouldn't so it very often. You can generally rely on the reviews on these sites. I usually discard the best and the worst, and pay most attention to those in the middle. Some people are impossible to please, and others suffer from an abundance of superlatives.

7. Re: Reservations over a hotel reservation!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 February 2013, 10:17