We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Operas in Mid-May 2012

Louisiana
Level Contributor
1,205 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
Operas in Mid-May 2012

Maybe I am justing looking in all the wrong places, but I can not find an opera to go see when we will be in Rome (which is May 11 to 16).

The site I looked at is www.operaroma.it

Is there more than one opera house? Also we enjoy evening classical concerts held in churches. Is there a website for this?

My guidebook isn't giving me a lot of info on this and what I've seen is from google searching.

It looks like I am off to the bookstore for a more thorough guidebook

Any help would be most appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Opera in Roma
Performances, Ballets, Concerts, Operas
RomeConcerts
Concerts, Operas, Performances
south carolina
Level Contributor
53 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Operas in Mid-May 2012

I booked Madama Butterfly through the same website. It doesn't look like there is an opera scheduled at this theatre during the week that you're there. However, through my research I came across this website http://www.classictic.com. If I was not able to get tickets to the opera, I definitely would have used this site for alternative performances.

Hope this helps.

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Operas in Mid-May 2012

It's too late for opera in the opera house, too early for opera in the Baths of Caracalla.

Classictic has various unstaged versions in churches of opera by professional and semi-professional singers. The symphony, Accademia Nazionale di Santa Cecilia, has concerts in May. There are classical music concerts in various venues, some free, some not. It's clunky, but you can use this:

060608.it/en/eventi-e-spettacoli/musica

to look for concerts between your dates; many are only listed a short time in advance.

Louisiana
Level Contributor
1,205 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Operas in Mid-May 2012

Thanks to both gigide and Zerlina for their helpful replies.

Edited: 29 January 2012, 21:34
Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Operas in Mid-May 2012

Their are two main groups in Rome that put on operas nearly all year long, with mostly the same casts. They're not fully staged, as Zerlina says, but they're usually performed in period costume. The singers tend to be students and other nonprofessionals, but often very good.

One is I Musici Veneziani, which also has a branch in Venice:

www.imusiciveneziani.com/index.php…

In Rome, they alternate performances of operas with selections from operas. Sometimes they use the Church of St. Paul Within the Walls, and sometimes they use the Salone Margherita Theatre.

The other group is L'Accademia d'Opera Italiana: I solisti dell'Opera. This group performs at All Saints Anglican Church.

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
5. Re: Operas in Mid-May 2012

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 May 2013, 10:27