We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Time to get through customs at FCO

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
1 post
Save Topic
Time to get through customs at FCO

How long should one allot? We plan on carry on luggage only. How long is the time to change terminals, if necessary, form international to local ( Pisa via Alltia?)

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
1,026 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Time to get through customs at FCO

If you're coming from San Francisco with just carry-on, you'll only head through Immigration (passport control). You can stay behind security (transit signage) and walk to the B gates where most domestic Alitalia domestic flights depart from. Customs is basically a "walk-through" and you'll do that when you leave the secured area leaving out of the Pisa airport.

It's about a 5-8 minute walk from the arriving US planes to Immigration control. How long you're there will depend on how many other Non-Schengen planes have arrived as you've arrived. I've been there 3 minutes... I've been there 30 minutes. The walk from there to the B gates takes about 15 minutes.

This post, although not totally applicable to you since you're connecting has some pictures and maps of the Terminals which may assist you: http://tinyurl.com/t3-baggage

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,659 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Time to get through customs at FCO

Sometimes flights from the US haveto take a shuttle bus to the arrival gate, and passengers from these flights also have to go through security, before arriving at immigration. Just follow the signs for transit passengers, and then the signs for your boarding area, which is the letter of your departure gate (usually A or B for domestic flights).

If your flight has been sold as a single itinerary, you don't have to worry too much about the time to the gate. Alitalia won't sell a connection that they don't think you can make. If you do miss the connection, they'll put you on the next flight. I often transfer to a domestic flight through Fiumicino, and I've easily made connections with less than an hour.

By the way, when I have a tight connection, I'd rather have my luggage checked instead of carry on. You can get through a crowded airport a lot quicker if you're not dragging a suitcase. I carry on just the absolute essentials for the first night, which usually fit in a small pack or large purse.

Virginia
Level Contributor
2,033 posts
390 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Time to get through customs at FCO

Our plane arrived from the US several hours late into Rome. When it did arrive, so did 3-4 other large international flights. It took 45 minutes or more to get through immigration. They had only 2 individuals working.

If you're lucky... the only people you'll have to wait behind in line will be from your plane and not many others.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,659 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Time to get through customs at FCO

Transit passengers follow a different route from people whose final destination is Rome. Still, there can be delays at immigration, although I've never experienced a delay more than about ten minutes.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
52 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Time to get through customs at FCO

Our flight from UK (our origin is US) arrives in Rome FCO at 12:40 pm in September. I want to buy tickets for a flight to Bari which leaves FCO at 4:10 pm. Do you think I can make that or should I not buy the ticket?

I forgot to mention that I will have a checked luggage and one carry on.

Thanks

Edited: 20 April 2012, 21:16
Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,659 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Time to get through customs at FCO

It should be enough time, but I'm always nervous about having a connecting flight on two separate itineraries. If your first flight is very late and you miss the connection, you'll just have to buy a whole new ticket for the second flight. Buying an airline ticket at the last minute costs a fortune usually, and the first ticket will be money totally wasted. That's why I always buy my tickets to the *final* destination as a single itinerary.

In your case, it's probably too late for that. I would consider going on to Bari by train. The full cost of the train ticket is €68, including the express train from the airport to Termini station, and you could conceivably catch the 2:45 PM train, which gets you there by 6:48 PM. If not, the next train is at 5:45.

7. Re: Time to get through customs at FCO

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 May 2013, 10:30