We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

saltimbocca???

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tralee, Ireland
Level Contributor
655 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
saltimbocca???

Hi we are a group of 20 ...im in charge of restaurant bookings, (which was hard let me add!!) ive got it sorted now and one place sent me on menus and as we are a large group they require us to email our orders a few days before..

ive never eaten saltimbocca and its one of only 3 choices of main..

my group are emailing me asking what its like and should they choose it etc..(how should i know, if i say es and if they dont like it ill feel guilty etc)

so just wondering is it a typical roman or italian dish?

do many of you like/recommend it..? what does it taste like eg is it a strong flavour?

i myself would like to try it..thanks everyone

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
435 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: saltimbocca???

It does what it says on the tin {or at least it would if it came out of a tin - which it doesn't tend to do - and the tin was an Italian one!} It means "jumps into the mouth" and it's a veal dish. It's actually gorgeous, and has a delicate taste. Wish I could get it here. I can't. So you'll have to have mine. I'm sure you'll love it.

UK
Level Contributor
2,855 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: saltimbocca???

It is delicious and one of our favourite dishes to cook here in the UK (with veal bought in France)

Here is Delia describing how she makes it with pork:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F289X_E-hKg

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,588 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: saltimbocca???

I like the dish but I have had some terrible versions of it in Rome as well as some sublime versions. If the veal is not a good cut, it can be tough and that ruins it. But, flavor wise, I imagine people will like it. You know the ingredients, right?

Tralee, Ireland
Level Contributor
655 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: saltimbocca???

thanks all, well in the menu they just said in brackets beside it ..veal and ham. ive no idea how its made, ive never come across it before to be honest!! i think ill give it a go anyway.

Edited: 01 February 2012, 14:51
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,588 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: saltimbocca???

Not ham as you might know, but prosciutto it is: veal lined or topped with prosciutto and sage. It has a slightly salty taste because of the prosciutto. Where I have had a the less than good ones, it has been when the chef hasn't trimmed the fat from the veal very well.

But, again, when cooked well, it is delicious. As an herb, sage has a distinctive flavor - some people may not care for it but I'd say go for it. That is the fun of traveling, trying out new foods!

Have a great trip. Does sound like a challenge, finding a place for so many people.

Tralee, Ireland
Level Contributor
655 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: saltimbocca???

@ joannaspencer, thanks for the video link, its such a simple dish and looks delicious..AND looks so easy to make!! ill def have it now after seeing that. as they say "when in Rome"!

Tralee, Ireland
Level Contributor
655 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: saltimbocca???

@momcat, thanks for that, YES it was a challenge booking for a group when ive never been to Rome before so have no idea but all sorted now..Roll on friday..

8. Re: saltimbocca???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 February 2013, 10:20