We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any suggestions of a tour for the vatican?

London, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Any suggestions of a tour for the vatican?

We are going to Rome at the end of March, I've been looking online at tickets for the vatican, but there are so many options! Can anyone reccommend a tour?

Thanks!

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Any suggestions of a tour for the vatican?

Your best - and cheapest - bet for a basic introductory tour is one of the Vatican Museums' own tours:

…vatican.va/musei/tickets/index.html

If you're looking for something more intensive or specialized, come back and ask again.

London, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any suggestions of a tour for the vatican?

Thanks. I've looked on their site, and the timing seemed weird with only one tour in the morning at 11:30. Was wondering if there was not something earlier? But I'll have another read. Basic sights is what I'm after.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
33,976 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any suggestions of a tour for the vatican?

They do an 11:30 tour because most of the private companies go early in the morning. This gives them a chance to clear out. The museums are still very crowded but you don't have 20 or so tour groups competing to see the same artwork.

Donna

London, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any suggestions of a tour for the vatican?

Thanks Donna, that would make sense. In that case would you say it might be better to go with a private company in the hope of getting in early? or maybe in the afternoon? Sorry for all the questions! I normally just get on and book something but somehow Rome has got me all confused!

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Any suggestions of a tour for the vatican?

The Vatican Museums are always crowded, but they're a little less crowded in the afternoon. They're most crowded when they open at 9 am.

alberta
Level Contributor
131 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any suggestions of a tour for the vatican?

We took a tour with Jason Spiehler - a history student from the US. This was my second tour and by far the best - funny, informative and small for some personal time. We took a few of his other tours and can't say enough about his knowledge, interest and demeanor. Check him out online or on Facebook. jason@jasonspiehler.com

7. Re: Any suggestions of a tour for the vatican?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 May 2013, 10:20