We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trentialia - " Same Day Return Offer " Tickets

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
198 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Trentialia - " Same Day Return Offer " Tickets

Trentialia is offering discounted tickets for travel between Rome & Venice - there and back- on the same day,

We want to go only 1 way ie Rome to Venice. We will not be returning to Rome.

What is stopping us from buying the round trip ticket which is far cheaper than the BASE ticket and not using the return leg ? Any catches ?

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Trentialia - " Same Day Return Offer " Tickets

Nothing is stopping you from paying a same-day return of 109 Euro instead of 76 Euro for one-way fare.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,663 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trentialia - " Same Day Return Offer " Tickets

It's not perhaps immediately obvious, but the €54.50 fare shown for one-day return is the fare each way, as is the €76 fare shown for a Base ticket.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
198 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trentialia - " Same Day Return Offer " Tickets

So you agree that it would be OK to buy the " Same Day Return Offer " tickets which are cheaper than the Base tickets

and

just not use the return leg ?

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Trentialia - " Same Day Return Offer " Tickets

Southies, what we are trying to tell you is that it is NOT cheaper. The same-day return costs 109 Euro. The one-way fare costs 76 Euro. Which is cheaper?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
198 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trentialia - " Same Day Return Offer " Tickets

What am I NOT seeing ?

Remember we will not be returning to Rome at all but moving on to Paris, after Venice.

The prices (1st class) for the 3 of us are :

312.00€ 1 way

223.50 € return.

Would I not be crazy to pay the 312€ ?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,663 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trentialia - " Same Day Return Offer " Tickets

Southies:

Listen to what we are saying: the prices you are quoting are for *one-way* travel. Three one-day return tickets will cost you €447 and three one-way Base tickets will cost €312.

If you want to save money, don't travel first class. There is very little difference between first and second, and three one-way Base tickets in second cost €228.

After you select a train and click "Continue", the next screen asks you to select a travel class and fare basis for your *outbound* journey. The prices shown are for the outbound journey only. Once you have made your choice, you are then shown prices for the return journey.

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Trentialia - " Same Day Return Offer " Tickets

SydneyNick has explained why you *think* the same-day return fare is lower.

Now read this, from the fare description on the Trenitalia Web site:

The offer is for a same-day return trip at the following set prices:

• 149 € in 1st class or 1st Business

• 109 € in 2nd class or 2nd Standard

The *return* fare is 149 Euro in first class and 109 Euro in second class.

104 Euro one-way in first class is *less* than 149 Euro. 76 Euro one-way in second class is *less* than 109 Euro.

And I agree with SydneyNick: The difference between first and second class is not worth the difference in price.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
198 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trentialia - " Same Day Return Offer " Tickets

SN, I laughed when I opened your post, as I thought : Oh geez, I've done it again (blushing profusely) ............ All would have been self-evident if I had just moved on to the next screen !

Thanks for bailing me out SN & apologies for you having to SPELL-IT-OUT - again ! But I AM getting better at this train booking business.................

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,663 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trentialia - " Same Day Return Offer " Tickets

Don't feel too bad about it, Southies. I have spent quite some time figuring out how the Trenitalia web site works, and I am sure Zerlina has too.

The design is dreadful. It is obviously based on what is easy to program rather than the needs of the customers.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
198 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trentialia - " Same Day Return Offer " Tickets

Sorry Zerlina, didn't see your post ! Thank you also for your explanation.........it is definitely clearer now !