We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Financial changes require some help with 2 week trip

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
philadelphia
Level Contributor
355 posts
153 reviews
Save Topic
Financial changes require some help with 2 week trip

Hi Friends,

Due to an unfortuante change of financial status, we have to see how we can go on with our trip which is partially paid for already. We land in Rome and stay 3 nights july 1 - 4 (hotel booked with cancellation fee - we're trying to get a cheaper room in the same hotel). then we are to take the train to Naples, and hydrofoil to Capri and stay 2 nights - euro 500 for a suite for 5 - then we have a villa near Ravello for 330 euro for 2 bed for 7 nights.

I'm wondering if we should skip Capri. We want to see Pompeii for sure - perhaps stay somewhere inexpensive in Sorrento for 2 nights prior to the Ravello villa? Or we could ask the man who owns the villa if we could add 2 nights there (we love the reviews and pictures of the place) rather than capri and take public transport to Pompeii.

I don't know the cost of visiting capri for a day - I know many of you discourage staying there anyway.

any thoughts or suggestions are welcome. thank you so much. Of course we could cancel completely, but we were able to secure the 5 flights with ff miles - something that is highly unlikely to happen again and cancellation comes with a big cost - so we're going anyway.

ellen

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,415 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Financial changes require some help with 2 week trip

How many people are in your group?

You might find that it could pay to cancel the hotel in Rome, pay the cancellation fee, and get a cheap hotel. Try looking around before deciding.

You can save quite a lot by taking the cheap regional train to Naples: €10,50 per person instead of €45.

Sorrento would certainly be more convenient for visiting Pompeii than Ravello, and there are also boats to Capri from Sorrento. However, to do both from Sorrento you'd need three nights there, not two. You could possibly visit Pompeii en route to Sorrento, getting off at the archeological site and leaving your luggage at the baggage check room there while you visit the site. Then you could spend two nights in Sorrento and either take a day trip to Capri or stay in Sorrento for the day.

One of my best trips was in Ireland years ago, when I was carrying too much cash because of a mixup with plane tickets. (These were the days before ATMs.) I got robbed in Dublin and my budget for the rest of the trip was seriously restricted. I also had to cut out one destination so that I could wait somewhere while my bank wired emergency funds to an Irish bank, As a result we spend four days in a little fishing village and had a wonderful time and got to know nearly everybody there. We walked a lot, and we stayed in youth hostels instead of hotels, I bought some peanut butter and elderberry jam and we had peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for lunch every day and ate in a restaurant for dinner. We had a truly unforgettable vacation. I'm sure you will too.

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Financial changes require some help with 2 week trip

Sorrento is definitely less expensive than Capri, and it's a very convenient base for Pompeii.

There are also frequent boats/hydrofoils to Capri. A day trip to Capri in July will not be an unalloyed joy. If you decide to leave it out, it's a saving of about 150 Euro if you are five people.

You can certainly ask the villa owner about extending your stay, but it's a less convenient location for both Pompeii and Capri. Besides, he may not be able to accommodate you; in high season, many rentals are for 7-day periods.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
29,937 posts
1,361 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Financial changes require some help with 2 week trip

Another vote for Sorrento. Capri is very expensive just do a day trip from Sorrento.

UK
Level Contributor
3,174 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Financial changes require some help with 2 week trip

"then we have a villa near Ravello for 330 euro for 2 bed for 7 nights"

Is that the per night price? Otherwise, their website says min 130 to max 360 euro per night.

Edited: 05 February 2012, 22:48
Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
9,607 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Financial changes require some help with 2 week trip

Ditto for Sorrento and a day trip to Capri.

philadelphia
Level Contributor
355 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Financial changes require some help with 2 week trip

I cancelled Capri. I found Hotel Villa Fiorita for 525 for 2 nights for all 5 of us. I'm considering asking the Ravello villa to let us cancel the first 2 nights and doing 4 nights sorrento /5 nights Ravello (rather than 2 +7). we do want to see Pasteum and think Ravello is better for that. This hotel (not sure it's the best choice - it can be cancelled) is a little off the beaten track,but great price. I just grabbed it for now.

I am taking it that some of you say don't even bother visiting Capri at all? Bevlici- we are planning on pizza vs. our normal yummy fish etc - life changes things, but our family is pulling together so it's all good.

We are a little nervous about rome as we don't want to stay anywhere really bad -but I think our current price is about 475 eur a night for 5 at Palazzo al Velabro. Thoughts? And THANK YOU SO MUCH. I'm so grateful. I want to keep our family happy and together - we can afford to go - just so different suddenly with one income so we want to be careful.

Ellen

UK
Level Contributor
3,174 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Financial changes require some help with 2 week trip

I would stay in town and not have the hassle of relying on buses to and from Sorrento. It's also nice to stroll around Sorrento after dinner enjoying the night air.

If you are not bothered about sea views this hotel in Sorrento has double rooms at 75 euro per night in early July. Ignore the word Hostel in the title, it's a proper hotel. Also does family rooms. It gets good reviews on TA.

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g187782-d1036…

Edited: 06 February 2012, 00:30
Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,415 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Financial changes require some help with 2 week trip

In Rome, I know decent hotels for as little as 70 euros a night for a double with bath. In this hotel, you could get a double plus a triple for €175 a night (or less, that's the maximum). It's a basic hotel, with Ikea style furnishings, but it's clean and comfortable. It's very near the train station, which is not a charming part of town, but it's perfectly safe. It's a small hotel on an upper floor of a building with several hotels inside. It's run by a very nice family who live on the premises. I often stay there myself. The air conditioning is efficient, and there is an elevator, two things that are often not found in cheap hotels. The last time I was there, last summer, there was no Wifi, which may be a problem for some people.

You can find other budget hotels on booking.com or venere.com, but definitely read the reviews before booking. Don't go too far from the center, either. The Termini neighborhood is reasonably central; the Colosseum and Vatican neighborhoods are a little less so. The Vatican area is very large; I wouldn't want any hotel very far west of Saint Peter's Basilica. In the Termini neighborhood, don't go too far east, not in the Colosseum neighborhood, too far south.

Some cheap hotels are not staffed during the day. If that's important to you, ask before booking. The one I mentioned above is staffed all the time, but you might have to ring the bell on the desk. That hotel doesn't use any booking sites, just word of mouth, so you won't find it on the sites I mentioned above.

philadelphia
Level Contributor
355 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Financial changes require some help with 2 week trip

thanks for the messages! I will look into the rome suggestion - view matters a LOT to me - and the pool matters a lot to the kids, so I think the hassle of the bus might trump the convenience of the hotel you mention (hostle doesn't bother me at all). any other ideas?

we are not broke - I still have a good salary - just down to one good salary. Much worse things could have happened to our family and we're standing by each other. thanks for the advice

ellen

UK
Level Contributor
3,174 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Financial changes require some help with 2 week trip

If you don't mind an out of town location, this family run hotel is on the same road as the Villa Fiorita but has a free shuttle service to and from Sorrento. You can also book direct.

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g187782-d2756…