We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When do I need to start making reservations?

North Carolina
Level Contributor
190 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
When do I need to start making reservations?

My husband and I are heading to Italy in late August (1st trip). Have made reservations from 8/30 - 9/3 at the Hotel Marincanto in Positano, then 9/3-9/7 in Rome at Hotel Raphael. I have been working my way through LOTS of threads and amassing a ton of information but am not sure how soon I need to start looking at booking restaurants, tours, etc? Are there "special" underground/behind the scenes/etc. tours that need reservations far in advance? I am not certain exactly what sites/museums we are going to see, just in the initial research stages...but know we want to try and fit in many of the "do not miss" sites and then eat and drink well :)) Thanks!!

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: When do I need to start making reservations?

Unless you plan to eat at La Pergola in Rome, where you need to make reservations months or at least weeks in advance, it confuses most restaurants if you reserve more than a few days in advance. Phone reservations are preferred to e-mail reservations. Send the concierge at the Hotel Raphael your list and have him/her call; that's what s/he's there for. But I suggest you not let him/her dictate your restaurant choices.

As far as sights etc. go, the only one that requires a reservation far in advance is the Scavi tour under St. Peter's Basilica. Everything else can be reserved a week or two in advance.

Illinois
Level Contributor
16,612 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: When do I need to start making reservations?

If you want to do a private tour with a certain guide, I would book that in advance too, as they may book up early if you want a certain date.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
190 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: When do I need to start making reservations?

Thank you so much. For the private tours...like 1-2 months in advance?

Illinois
Level Contributor
16,612 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: When do I need to start making reservations?

It varies of course, depending on the guide and how committed you are to a certain day. Obviously, if there is only one guide and someone else already booked your day you will be out of luck. Looking back at my emails from our trip in April 2011 (over Easter), I booked our guide for Cassino on Feb 6, 2011 and our guide for Ancient Rome on Jan 24, 2011. I know the Cassino guide had some other days booked for the time of our trip already when I booked ours.

I booked our airport transfer from Rome Cabs Dec 19, 2010.

5. Re: When do I need to start making reservations?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 May 2013, 10:36