We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ROME:should I rent a scooter? Has anyone out there?

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
ROME:should I rent a scooter? Has anyone out there?

I'm thinking of renting a scooter for 1/2 day in Rome for ease of sightseeing, and I know the drivers can be crazy. I'd probably stay to the side of the road and drive slowly. Does anyone have an opinion or suggestion? Thank you.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
33,648 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ROME:should I rent a scooter? Has anyone out there?

Unless you are extremely familiar with driving a scooter and the traffic in Rome I would not consider renting a scooter. There are just too many things that can go wrong. You won't find parking easily near any of the sites. I don't know if you'll be allowed to drive in the city center with the ZTL's. I know rental cars can't but not sure about rental scooters.

Donna

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ROME:should I rent a scooter? Has anyone out there?

Thanks for your reply. Interesting about limited parking. I was in Rome 40 yrs. ago and remember going to the "hilltop" to dine & look out over the city landscape. Is that something to consider. Or what about renting a bicycle?

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,762 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ROME:should I rent a scooter? Has anyone out there?

Funny that this thread should appear today, I have just this lunch time finished the book ‘Vroom With a View’ by Peter Moore, it’s a very enjoyable read about an Aussie riding a 40 year old Vespa from Milan to Rome. I would really recommend it to anyone travelling to Italy. But after reading it, I wouldn’t be in a hurry to ride a Vespa in Italy, especially in Rome! The drivers sound crazy!

It sounds like more trouble than it’s worth imo, Rome is such a walkable city, I think if you are looking for ease of sightseeing then walking, bus and metro is the way to go.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,059 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ROME:should I rent a scooter? Has anyone out there?

don't even consider it unless you regularly ride a motorcycle or scooter at home and even then, the Rome traffic makes this pretty risky for a tourist -- we all have friends who have ended up with two broken arms after their adventure with scooters in foreign countries --- imagine the rest of your trip with two broken arms -- you will need to be traveling with a VERY good friend or spouse to manage it

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,106 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ROME:should I rent a scooter? Has anyone out there?

There are so many pedestrian only streets, and so much detail to take in and absorb while walking from site to site.

If you stay in the historic area (Navona or Pantheon) you can literally walk anywhere. A bike would not be much fun in traffic, or on cobblestones. Parking a scooter or bike would be a hassle.

I'd say a scooter would be more of a hinderance than a help.

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,333 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ROME:should I rent a scooter? Has anyone out there?

Forget the scooter and just walk or take the Metro, taxis, and buses. Rome is a very walkable city, even for old coots like me. Public transportation is both plentiful and cheap. Don't rent a headache!

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: ROME:should I rent a scooter? Has anyone out there?

Here's a report by someone who lived in Rome for three years and rode a scooter:

roninrome.com/transportation/riding-a-motori…

Florida
Level Contributor
922 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ROME:should I rent a scooter? Has anyone out there?

Go to U tube and type in driving in Roma and you will see for yourself why you should not drive in Rome..on anything! I describe driving in Rome like bumber cars...crazy crazy crazy! We drove all through Tuscany and that was stressful enough. If you try driving a scooter in Rome, you really take your life into your hands!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,365 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ROME:should I rent a scooter? Has anyone out there?

But you could do this

nerone.cc/romemtm/nuovosito/vespa_tours.htm

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
1,053 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ROME:should I rent a scooter? Has anyone out there?

Riding the scooter in rome looks very romantic in the movies though