We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vatican and the Catacombs?

Orlando
Level Contributor
56 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Vatican and the Catacombs?

We are in Rome for a day. We are scheduled to tour with Rome in Limo. We want to see the Vatican/Sistine Chapel, but do not want to spend a great amount of time there in order to see other things. Is it possible to "breeze through" in order to see the Sistine Chapel and still have time for the Coliseum, Spanish Steps and other sites including the Catacombs/Appian Way. Not sure if we are trying to do too much. Please give opinions/suggestions. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Sistine Chapel
Sistine Chapel
15,827 Reviews
Vatican City, Italy
Spanish Steps
Spanish Steps
18,302 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Colosseum Motorcycle Center
Sightseeing Tours, Equipment Hire, Vespa, Scooter & Moped Tours
SPB Tours Mediterranean Rome
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours, Private Tours
Exclusiveissimo
Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours, City Tours, Private Tours, Shopping Tours
Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,672 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vatican and the Catacombs?

Often the Vatican Museums are very crowded. It's not always possible to "breeze through" because of the crush of the crowds going through.

The Spanish Steps, although quite famous, are not much to see besides a large flight of steps and a famous fountain at the bottom of them.

Mentioned in this post
Spanish Steps
Spanish Steps
18,302 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Vatican and the Catacombs?

You can't "breeze through": it's at least a 30-minute hike from the entrance to the Sistine Chapel; if it's crowded, it will take even longer. Ask Rome in Limo when they think you'll get there and either book a timed-entry ticket yourself or ask them to do it for you. As for the other things, again, ask Rome in Limo what they think you can manage. If you want to enter the Colosseum, you can buy a ticket online that lets you skip the line.

Edited: 13 February 2012, 00:33
Mentioned in this post
Sistine Chapel
Sistine Chapel
15,827 Reviews
Vatican City, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
27,028 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vatican and the Catacombs?

the Sistine chapel is worth it but takes time -- have you already seen St. Peters because this is also a 'must' IMHO

The Spanish Steps is near the top of my list of 'huh, this is it?' -- my then 80 year old mother felt the same way. Definitely one to skip in order to have time for the Colosseum and the Pantheon. The Pantheon is my favorite building in the world -- a definite must for Rome and the area is wonderful.

Mentioned in this post
Sistine Chapel
Sistine Chapel
15,827 Reviews
Vatican City, Italy
Spanish Steps
Spanish Steps
18,302 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Colosseum
Colosseum
118,555 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Pantheon
Pantheon
63,066 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
37,075 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vatican and the Catacombs?

I agree with Janet and Jerry about the spanish steps, not much to see other than a very large staircase. Not worth it if you only have a day to see Rome. I would certainly get to the Pantheon as it's one of the most spectacular buildings in Rome.

Donna

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Pantheon
Pantheon
63,066 Reviews
Rome, Italy
St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,332 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vatican and the Catacombs?

You do not have time to go out onto the Appian Way. It is far from Central Rome on the Bus and would take 30 min to get to the St Callistus Catacombs fron the Colosseum.

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Colosseum
Colosseum
118,555 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vatican and the Catacombs?

If you're being driven by a guide, there's a chance you could see a catacomb. If you finish with the Vatican Museums and Basilica by around noon, you could stop at the Pantheon. I would grab a quick bite to eat in the vicinity, and then go on to the Colosseum. To save time, I would suggest not even going inside. Instead, walk round it on the outside, and then walk along Via dei Fori Imperiali to see the other remains of ancient Rome on both sides of the street. This might take an hour and a half, and I would guess it would be around 3 PM. If you head straight for one of the catacombs, you should have time for a visit. I would suggest the Domatilla catacomb, which is on the same side of the city, and isn't too large. However, you'll have to see which days of the week it's open.

It can all be done, but it would be very rushed. I myself, if I wanted to see as much as possible, and if a catacomb were high on my list, would also skip the Vatican Museums and instead visit just the Basilica. Then I would walk around the historic center (Pantheon, Piazza Navona, and maybe a church). Then I would just walk around the ancient Roman area and head to the catacomb. To do this, you wouldn't need any tickets at all, and you could relax a little and keep your time flexible.

Mentioned in this post
Vatican Museums
Vatican Museums
30,611 Reviews
Vatican City, Italy
Pantheon
Pantheon
63,066 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Colosseum
Colosseum
118,555 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Via dei Fori Imperiali
Via dei Fori Imperiali
112 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Piazza Navona
Piazza Navona
30,867 Reviews
Rome, Italy
7. Re: Vatican and the Catacombs?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 June 2013, 20:22