We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Robbed in Rome

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tralee, Ireland
Level Contributor
655 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Robbed in Rome

We have just returned from our much anticipated trip to Rome. on our 1st day there friday last while on the metro to the vatican my daughters purse was robbed out of the zipped shoulder bag.. it contained her money over €300, student card (for id) bank card (which we were able to quickly cancel thankfully)

A couple of romany gypsy kids got on and tried to steal one of our other friends wallet but the felt her hand and she ran off and unfortunately targeted m y daughter. just please be very careful everyone ..its a terrible experience we were a group of 20 so luckily everyone did a whipround and made sure she was looked after but it truly put a damper on our time there.. i know no one was injured physically but its very distressing and all i can think of what if it was a lone traveller or such.. another man in our hotel also fell victim to these pickpockets and the police told us its a very big problem. so beware and please please really watch your bags.. you never think its going to be you

Chesapeake, Virginia
Level Contributor
91 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Robbed in Rome

Oh, I feel just terrible for you and for your daughter! My husband and I also will be staying near Termini and taking public transport also. We're very nervous about the pickpockets, so plan to be wary. Thank you for the warning!

I hope the rest of your trip was as wonderful as you'd hoped?

Tralee, Ireland
Level Contributor
655 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Robbed in Rome

Yes, travellingsun, we had a really lovely time other than that, we visited the Vatican, (sistine chapel is breathtaking) st peters, spanish steps trevi fountain and colosseum but it was closed due to the snow.

we were staying in vittorio emanuele area so very near termini and after our experience we clung to our bags like they were new born babies! make use of hotel safes is my advice and only bring out what u need for the day. hope you enjoy your trip just let our experience be a lesson to you all and be watchful but enjoy the lovely sighhts

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,669 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Robbed in Rome

I'm very sorry this happened, and I know it's distressing. Something very similar happened to me once in Dublin. I was trying to make a phone call at a public phone, and my little daughter was distracting me. Some children came close to us on roller skates but I didn't see them take my wallet. The thing that annoyed me is that there were two policemen not more than 20 feet away, and when I reported it, they said immediately, "It was the kids on skates, they're always doing that."

For others, you should always hold all bags and purses to the front, with an arm across the opening. Pickpockets look for the easiest targets: someone who's not paying attention, or whose bag is draped casually over the shoulder, swinging free. Be especially careful in crowded situations and don't rush to get on or off a bus or metro. Try to stand well away from the doors.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,398 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Robbed in Rome

Travel with your cash and credit cards in a money belt under your clothes

5. Re: Robbed in Rome

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 March 2012, 20:42
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,076 posts
1,390 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Robbed in Rome

Can happen anywhere - it's the group of kids you have to watch out for... they are terrible in Capetown too where we nearly got robbed but I sensed something wasn't right so quickly nabbed them before they got my bag.

Sorry to hear about your daughers's experience especially when their $$$ are soo important to them.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
582 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Robbed in Rome

i'm so sorry for the both of you. we will be traveling in september for our honeymoon and i'm already worried about that ....ugh! i bought a money belt. but i would so disappointed too!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
383 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Robbed in Rome

I feel your pain , once my car was broken into in a secure parking lot at a resort and I was furious.

I have a money belt for under my shirt, for money etc, but I will also be traveling with a backpack when I go to Rome, and Europe in general. It will have my netbook and some clothes,perhaps my phone sometimes. Any advice to avoid these type of kids? Should I get a little lock for the zippers?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,272 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Robbed in Rome

A small lock is quite a good idea, just a deterrent. You can usually lock 2 zip tags together easily. All it really does is send them looking for something easier. Nick does that in crowded situations like trains and buses.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
582 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Robbed in Rome

i read somewhere on ta about "pacsafe". a company that makes bags/purses that are secure safe. i'm looking into buying a purse.