We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Colessium tour on Easter Sunday question

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
384 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Colessium tour on Easter Sunday question

I have limited time in Rome and assume itll be busy on Easter Sunday, would it be worth it to buy a skip the line tour of the Colesuem from darkrome.com for that Sunday, its $65 usd and its a 3 hour tour, or do you guys think I would have no problem getting in and out? Do lines typical form for the Colosseum or do things move quickly over there.

Thanks!

Colosseum Motorcycle Center
Sightseeing Tours, Equipment Hire, Vespa, Scooter & Moped Tours
SPB Tours Mediterranean Rome
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours, Private Tours
Exclusiveissimo
Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours, City Tours, Private Tours, Shopping Tours
Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Colessium tour on Easter Sunday question

Lines at the Colosseum are generally long, but you don't have to buy an expensive tour. There are generally no or only short lines at the Forum and Palatine Hill ticket offices, and you can buy the combo ticket there. Or you can buy the combo ticket with a surcharge of 1.50 Euro here:

www.ticketclic.it/gb/html/musei/colosseo.cfm

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
384 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Colessium tour on Easter Sunday question

So the tickets for all three would cost around $17 USD, that skip the line tour I was speaking of that is 3 hours long would be an extra $48 USD. So the thing keeping me from making a decision is if I purchased the $17 combo tix, would it be feasible to see all three in 3 hours?

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Colessium tour on Easter Sunday question

The combo ticket is valid for two consecutive days. Or do you mean you have only three hours to give to the three sites? It would be a rush, with or without a tour. The Colosseum is well signposted; the Forum and Palatine are not. So if you want a better idea of what you're seeing, take the tour.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
384 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Colessium tour on Easter Sunday question

Well, I was using 3 hours as an idea of how long it should take since that how long the skip the line tour was for the three sites.

I was mostly worried it would take me much longer to accomplish the same amount of viewing time on my own vs the skip the line tour if that makes sense.

I googled what time sun sets in april and it appears to be 18:40 and I would be (hopefully) attending easter services at the vatican which I believe concludes at 12? That would give me roughly almost 7 hours of wander around time.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Colessium tour on Easter Sunday question

I've never managed to see the Colosseum, Palatine Hill and Roman Forum in three hours, not even on return visits. A tour that tried to do it in three hours would be skipping a lot, but I suppose you could stay longer and see some of the things they skipped.

I agree with Zerlina. The Colosseum is well marked, and doesn't really need a tour. You might want a tour of the Roman Forum and Palatine Hill, if you can find one that does just those two.

There are downloadable iPhone, Android, or mp3 tours of the Roman Forum, and various people have reported that they were worthwhile. I don't know if there are any for the Palatine Hill, which, in my opinion, really shouldn't be missed. I have usually visited them with a guide book, although I once visited the Roman Forum with a private guide.

Have you applied for tickets to the Easter Mass at the Vatican? It may be over at 12, but remember that you have to eat sometime.

Edited: 15 February 2012, 13:14
Mentioned in this post
Roman Forum
Roman Forum
18,322 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Vatican
Vatican
234 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
384 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Colessium tour on Easter Sunday question

Is there any skip the line Colosseum tickets that arent part of a tour?

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Colessium tour on Easter Sunday question

Yes, there are several ways to get tickets, which allow you to skip the line. See response number 1 above.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
384 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Colessium tour on Easter Sunday question

Ohhhh, I get it now, the lines are for the tickets!

I thought even if you had a ticket, there was a line!

I finally get it.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Colessium tour on Easter Sunday question

Well, there could be a short wait, even if you have a ticket, to go through the gate, but the long line is a ticket line. Just walk past the line.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
384 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Colessium tour on Easter Sunday question

Gotcha, makes sense, I will just buy the 2 day ticket thing and watch a Rome dvd.