We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Concerned I'm Choosing Bad Location To Stay

Colorado
Level Contributor
313 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Concerned I'm Choosing Bad Location To Stay

Raffaello Hotel just off Via Cavour-

I like that it's close to the Termini as we are taking the train in from the airport & then out to Florence-

gets very strong reviews, great breakfast, reasonable price....

however, is this area 'ugly' .....not charming or what one would expect if they visit Rome ?

is this area considered questionable or seedy ?

I understand staying near the Piazza Navona is optimal but the prices are rather high...

help..

Taylorsville, Utah
Level Contributor
1,242 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Concerned I'm Choosing Bad Location To Stay

The Termini area is not as charming as other areas, but it is safe.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
383 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Concerned I'm Choosing Bad Location To Stay

Well thats good to hear, as I too have booked a hotel near the Termini

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Concerned I'm Choosing Bad Location To Stay

The Hotel Raffaello is fine. It's not right next to Termini, and the area east of Via Cavour at that height and south, called Monti, is getting more and more trendy. The buildings are not as grand as around the Pantheon, but it's a historic and cobblestoned area.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
383 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Concerned I'm Choosing Bad Location To Stay

I booked a room at the B&B Giovy located at Via Principe Amedeo 87/B, Stazione Termini

Rome, 00185

Is that safe?

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Concerned I'm Choosing Bad Location To Stay

It's all *safe*. Via Principe Amedeo is closer to Termini and a modern, less charming street, but there's nothing fundamentally wrong with it.

Taylorsville, Utah
Level Contributor
1,242 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Concerned I'm Choosing Bad Location To Stay

We stayed a couple of blocks from Termini , we went out at night and I sometimes went alone and had no problems at all. My friend also went jogging alone very early in the morning.We are both female. We felt perfectly safe.I wouldn't advise going out alone in the wee hours and you need to watch out for pickpockets and use your head but that is true everywhere.Termini is a bit ugly, but it is safe, cheap and convenient. I would recommend it if you are on a budget.

NY
Level Contributor
3,653 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Concerned I'm Choosing Bad Location To Stay

I stayed at Giovy a couple of times, actually I think now named MaryElen, and area is good, what I might call "vibrant". When we first left Termini and got lost by a couple blocks we were first a little concerned about grittiness, but became quite comfortable after a day. There is or was a 'bag" laundry right across the street and down from that on the same side a nice resaurant with seating along the street in good weather and also down below, good food at reasonable prices. You should have no problem if reasonable care taken

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Concerned I'm Choosing Bad Location To Stay

The Hotel Raffaello is actually on Via Urbana, which is one of my favorite streets in Rome. It's a narrow street in a real Roman neighborhood, with little shops, hardly any tourists, and a slightly arty flavor.

The buildings are modest, but that's perfectly appropriate for the area, which in ancient Roman times was the Suburra, a working class and poor neighborhood. Julius Caesar lived there for a while; he wasn't poor, but he owned one of the large tenements there and lived on the premises.

Colorado
Level Contributor
313 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Concerned I'm Choosing Bad Location To Stay

how long of a walk is it from The Hotel Raffaello to the Spanish Steps, Pantheon and Piazza Navona ?

I can save 30.00 euros a night staying here rather than in the Piazza Navona area. I'm thinking that's too big a difference to ignore.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
34,270 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Concerned I'm Choosing Bad Location To Stay

About 10-15 minutes by foot to both the trevi fountain and the pantheon and another 5 minutes more to the Piazza Navona. The hotel is in a great location and being 30 euros less per night makes it a good choice.

Donna