We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tour of vatican etc

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
tour of vatican etc

Should we book for any tours of vatican or pay in advance for entrance for vatican, sistine chapel. scavi etc to save on waiting in lines, If so, how do we do it and who is it best to buy from. It is a minefield out there. Also should we take trips around Rome or would be be able to manage on our own. Want to see as much as we can in only four days. Thank you

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: tour of vatican etc

If you want to take the Scavi tour, you must book in advance. You can use the search feature or google to find the info on booking that.

I did it in 2005 and thought it was awesome.

sydney
Level Contributor
595 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: tour of vatican etc

If you visit the Vatican in the afternoon on a weekday, you should have no problem with big lines. If you want to buy in advance, go to this link

http://mv.vatican.va/3_EN/pages/MV_Home.html.

This is the official site for the musuem and you will find all you need to know there.

As far as touring Rome goes, you should be able to manage very well on your own over a four day stay. Grab a guide book, decide what you want to see and go from there. Don't rush yourself but give yourself time to absorb the atmosphere of this great city. Sometimes, just strolling around the streets offers the most memorable moments. Have a great time.

Denver, Colorado
13 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: tour of vatican etc

To make reservations for the Scavi Tour, you must send them the days you are available and they will email you time if there is space available for the days requested. Here is the website that explains how to make a reservation.

vatican.va/roman_curia/institutions_connecte…

The information is not in the museum ticket information on the Vatican website. It is under the excavations office.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
31,864 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: tour of vatican etc

If you wish to visit the Vatican museums in the morning you should either pre-purchase tickets or book a tour in order to bypass the lines. Just go through the official site to book either. You can visit the basilica either before or after the museums. There is no ticket required for that. If you plan on taking the scavi tour you must email them in advance for tickets. This is a very limited tour and you may not get in. You can send your request to:

scavi@fsp.va

Be sure to include all the information they ask for including names of participants, language and dates available. The more dates you give them the better chance you have of getting on a tour. If you are traveling with anyone under 15 they won't be allowed on the tour.

As for touring the city, a good map and guide book are really all you need. If you want to take a tour there are lots of companies out there that give city tours. You might also want to do audio tours of the city. These are much cheaper and allow you to go at your own pace. There are some good ones out on the web. I like the ones from pocketvox.com.

donna

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,498 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: tour of vatican etc

Francoise says that if you go to the Vatican Museums in the afternoon, there won't be long lines. This is sometimes true, but you can't count on it, especially at busy times of the year. I always buy a ticket in advance, because it's a small amount to pay for the assurance that I can save my energy for the museums.

BELFAST
Level Contributor
435 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: tour of vatican etc

Here is part of my previous respnse to the same question.

If you are planning to spend the whole day at the Vatican etc then you have plenty of time to do everything and get a flavour for it. We actually only spent about 4 hours and that was plently for us. There is only so much art you can take in, in one go we just followed the signs and moved between rooms views the "main" art pieces. As mentioned in previous replies book on line at the vatican website then you can go straight into the museums - follow the signs for the vatican museums don't head into St Peters SQ. When you get to Sisten Chapel there are 2 doors at the end - if you can slip out the right hand side door (one for the tour groups) we used this if you are lucky and no vatican staff are about as this will take you straight into St Peters without having to que again. What out for the tour guides outside wanting to take you round and beat the ques etc, they where looking for 50 Euro per person - which when pushed dropped to 15 or 16 per person, but you don't really need them just go round in your own time, or actually book an official tour on-line quite reasonable. The advantage with booking on-line is 1. you don't have to que and you can chose a time that suits you, we chose 11:30m to allow us time for breakfast and to make our way by metro, we arrived about 11:00 went straight in, had a small que to go through xray security over to the ticket desk to exchange our vouchers for entrance tickets and then went straight in

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
58 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: tour of vatican etc

I am literally replying now after returning from a day at the Vatican Museums, Scavi Tour, and the Basilica! We booked the Scavi tour first several months ago. Once we knew the day and time for the Scavi Tour, we knew we'd need to visit the museums in the morning. As a result, we got online tickets for the Museums in advance and were able to enter quickly this morning while those without tickets stood in a line that wrapped around the corner. We had enough time to spend several hours at the Museums in the morning. The Scavi Tour was incredible (and our guide was fabulous). Because of the limited number of tickets available on a given day, we'd recommend getting Scavi tickets first, and it might help you plan the rest of your day.

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: tour of vatican etc

Thank you ALL. seven very good replies and, I have taken on board everything and will now go ahead and BOOK> Million thanks again.

california
Level Contributor
88 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: tour of vatican etc

Boodleheimer...were you able to exit the Sistine Chapel through the "secret" door, or did you have to exit the regular door and walk all the way around back to the basilica? We also have a Scavi tour scheduled for the afternoon in May, and I'm debating whether to just order museum entrance tickets online for the morning and hope to get by the guards at the "secret" door or to book a tour and guarantee the easy exit out of the Sistine Chapel.

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
58 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: tour of vatican etc

We chose not to exit through the "secret door," but I think we could have joined a group if we really had our hearts set on it. We had enough time that we instead decided to go back out the way we came in and head to Pizzarium for lunch before coming back for the Scavi Tour!