We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airfare ... buy now or wait? PART 2

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Airfare ... buy now or wait? PART 2

I have been tracking fares @ least 3-4 times per week for the past month or so and prices have not budged ....... the cheapest I can find departing June 26th JFK--->FCO is $1088 USD with an excruciating layover in Moscow.

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts or tips on whether I should wait to buy. I was hoping to spend under $1000.

2 years ago I bought tickets for around $900 to FCO through Dublin, but I am now remembering I had to fly 2 weeks earlier in June to get this fare......we are not as flexible now:-(

TIA :-)

Wellington, Florida
Level Contributor
915 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airfare ... buy now or wait? PART 2

Buy now. It will only go higher and you will have worse connections. I used to go every summer to Spain for $800 and Brazil for $600, both from Miami. Now prices are $1500 and $1100! I looked at an itinerary with MIA-FLR-FCO-BIO-MIA in early August and the price per person was 1375. I thought it was high and waited only to see it climbing to over 1800! So I settled on a MIA-FCO-BIO-MIA for 1500 and jumped to book it.

Maryland
Level Contributor
35 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airfare ... buy now or wait? PART 2

I also was undecided as to whether to purchase now or later, I decided to bite the bullet and paid $1,300 for a round trip non stop from DC to Rome and I'm glad I did, the same flight is now over $1,500.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Airfare ... buy now or wait? PART 2

Ughhh can't pay more than 1000! we have 4 tickets to buy!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,853 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Airfare ... buy now or wait? PART 2

You will be very lucky to get fares within $1000 for summer. Fares are much higher than two years ago.

Before you book a flight through Moscow, research whether you would need a transit visa.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Airfare ... buy now or wait? PART 2

a transit visa? the only upside of flying thru. Moscow is that there is a choice of a 24 hour layover, which means potentially being able to spend a day in Moscow...........

Wellington, Florida
Level Contributor
915 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airfare ... buy now or wait? PART 2

I also bought 4 tix. Had no other choice...

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,853 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Airfare ... buy now or wait? PART 2

US and EU nationals need a visa to enter Russia

http://www.russianvisa.org/transitvisa.html

In-airport flight changes may be exception, but I'd feel better having researched that extensively to be sure.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
179 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airfare ... buy now or wait? PART 2

Have you checked Cheap o air.com. We are flying in late Sept to Rome from San Francisco and I paid $2100 for 2 round trips. I've used them before and haven't had any problems. We are flying British Airlines and American through Chicago and into Rome staying for 2 weeks. I watched airfare for awhile and couldn't find anything cheaper. Best of luck!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
290 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airfare ... buy now or wait? PART 2

Last year I waited until one month before my departure to buy a direct flight ticket to Rome and ended up saving about $300 but I was only buying one ticket.

Btw, I believe the visa for Russia costs about $200.

Cambridge, Canada
Level Contributor
204 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airfare ... buy now or wait? PART 2

I have a suggestion...have you thought of coming thru Canada? Try Porter or WestJet from NYC to Toronto and then a Canadian airline to Italy either Air Canada or Air Transat. Just a thought! We paid around $900 each in January for flights from Toronto into Venice and out of Rome for October. There are two airports in T.O. so you will want Lester B Pearson (international). The other airport is right downtown and I'm not sure if there is transfer between them. Good luck!