We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rome on a Sunday

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Little Rock...
Level Contributor
37 posts
191 reviews
Save Topic
Rome on a Sunday

I have done a fair amount of research on what I can do in Rome on a Sunday. Unfortunately this has to be one of our main touring days in ROme so we have to work with what we have! below is my tentative plan. Any tips or ideas would be great!

1. Piazza del Campidoglio – capitol hill

2. Fori Imperiali (Imperial Forums)

3. Colosseum

4. Arch of Constantine- :

5. Forum Romano (Roman Forum), Palatino (Palatine Hill)-most ancient part of the city , and Museo Palatino (Palatine Museum)

6. The Pantheon

7.Spanish Steps

9. Piazza

10. Fontana dei Trevi

How does it look? :)

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
142 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Rome on a Sunday

I think it is too much. The part of your itinerary that needs too much time is the visit of the Forum, Palatine and Museum. If you want to visit more sights you can, I think it is better to go up on the Capitol for having the best view of the Forum's area, then, by walk, passing out of the Emperial and Roman Forum go to visit inside just the Colosseum. I think in this way you will have time to see all the places you mention and something more.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,410 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rome on a Sunday

I think it's all right, although I would visit the historical center on a different day. For one thing, the Pantheon closes early on Sundays. The Imperial Forums can only be seen from the outside anyway. If I had to skip going inside something, I would go inside the Roman Forum and Palatine Hill, and skip going inside the Colosseum. I find it more impressive from the outside, anyway, especially if you walk all the way around it.

In any case, I would start at the Colosseum and work my way, passing through the Palatine Hill site, to the Roman Forum. Then you can go up the steps at the far end of the forum to Piazza del Campidoglio, where the Capitoline Museums are. You can have lunch inside the museum. After visting the museum, you can go back down to Via dei Fori Imperiali to have a look at the Imperial Forums, or you could even do this before the museum.

At that time you can decide whether you have the energy for a walk through the historic center. I would go first to the Pantheon, which closes at 6 or 6:30 on Sunday. If you have to skip something, I would definitely skip the Spanish Steps, which I (and many others) find underwhelming.

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
37 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rome on a Sunday

Great! Thanks for all imput!

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,751 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rome on a Sunday

Is there a charge for admission to just the Forum, we did both the Colosseum and the Forum on our last visit to Rome in 2007 and don't feel the need to see the Colosseum again, but would like to take a walk through the Forum again.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,410 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rome on a Sunday

There's a single admission charge for the Colosseum, Palatine Hill, and Roman Forum. I suggest that this time you also visit the Palatine Hill, a beautiful site overlooked by most tourists. That way you'll get your money's worth from the ticket!

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,751 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rome on a Sunday

Sorry bvlenci, I am being a bit thick here, does that mean you have to buy the Colosseum ticket to be admitted to the forum? Is there a cheaper ticket for just the Forum and Palatine Hill?

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Rome on a Sunday

Free admission to the Roman Forum was abolished some years ago. The only way to enter the Forum, Palatine or Colosseum is with the combo ticket for all three.

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,751 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rome on a Sunday

Ah I see, thanks Zerlina, I was looking up a (obviously out of date) website and it said that the Forum was free, but figured I would have read that on here if it were true! Will have to decide if it is worth a return visit, we only have 2 and a half days, so trying to be realistic about how much we can see.

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
37 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rome on a Sunday

ok I am glad to know that you can use the same ticket for all 3. I thought I would pat separate for each.

10. Re: Rome on a Sunday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 04:17