We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety of via dei Coronari and N64 Buss

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
5 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Safety of via dei Coronari and N64 Buss

Hello,

I just rented an apartment at via dei Coronari, and arrival instructions were to take the n64 bus, but then I read that the N64 bus should be avoided due to pickpockets and such. I am now questioning the overall safety of via dei Coronari.

Could someone please advise me as to the relative safety of this street?

Your advice is very appreciated!

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Safety of via dei Coronari and N64 Buss

As Romeishome has said, the main reason the number 64 bus has its reputation is that it's crowded and that it's full of tourists. It's not that the pickpockets think that 64 is a lucky number. What I'm trying to say is that the risk is the same in any crowded place with lots of tourists, not only in Rome but anywhere else. You're even at high risk standing in St. Peter's Square on a Sunday to get the Pope's blessing at the noon Angelus.

I use the number 64 bus frequently when I'm in Rome, as it's a very convenient route. I've never lost anything on the bus. I try to stand well away from the doors, where most pilfering takes place. I stand back and let the pushy people get on and off ahead of me, because pushing is a well known distraction so that you won't notice the hand in your pocket. I use a purse with a zipper closing, and a long enough strap to put across my chest, and I keep it in front of me, with my arm over the zipper pull.

If you're a man, don't put anything in your back pocket, except perhaps a decoy wallet with a few coins or euros in it. If you have something in a front pocket, do something to make it harder to extract. Even putting other stuff, like wadded-up handkerchiefs, on top of the wallet would be a deterrent. And never carry large amounts of cash, or all your credit cards, in the same place.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
1,026 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Safety of via dei Coronari and N64 Buss

Like bvlenci, I rode the 64 bus often as we lived near the Vatican - but I never "personally" had any issues; yet I saw a few. All the targets were tourists. One Japanese group tackled a thief as he got off the bus at the Piazza Venezia stop ... right in front of the Carabinieri station there (How convenient is that?).

I was helping some folks around Rome and one of the guys in the group had his wallet in his front pocket. The 64 bus was packed, and as bvlenci says to avoid... we were stuck by the exit doors. I told everyone to BE ALERT. And they still got this guy's wallet without him even realizing it. So the crowds make it far easier as sometimes you're packed tightly on this bus. I would agree that the 64 bus is just a "target of opportunity" for pickpockets. But as bvlenci says, so is any crowded spot!

I once had a guide friend who was pickpocketed INSIDE the Vatican Museums. Unfortunately, he had already collected the tour fees and he lost it all. And this guy was a very "experienced" local. So you just have to be alert.

Roma
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
12,426 posts
643 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Safety of via dei Coronari and N64 Buss

Very interesting debate, but noticing that going in the 70 is anyway simpler and more practical to reach Via dei Coronari, a little pleonastic. The 64 is always full of tourists because seemingly not all of them wonder which other lines could avail.

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
132 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Safety of via dei Coronari and N64 Buss

Go Steelers!!!

------------------

In honor the pickpockets shouldn't that be

" Go STEALERS" ...LOL : )

15. Re: Safety of via dei Coronari and N64 Buss

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2013, 23:15