We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marathon Day in Roma

cold spot
Level Contributor
41 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Marathon Day in Roma

We will be in the city on March 20th and have reservations at 9am for the Borghese Galleria and at 1 pm for the Palazzo Valentini tour- when we booked the agent said we could take a 15 min. bus ride but I am not planning on buses running that day. About how far is it? Haven't been able to determine the distance from the map. If we were to walk at a fairly brisk pace how long would it take? Thanks for all your help. Coop

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,503 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Marathon Day in Roma

I was there last year for the marathon - it was crazy busy and a lot of buses were not running and taxis wouldn't take me where I wanted to go which was near the Colosseum. I couldn't get near it so I turned and actually ended up going in the direction of the Palazzo Venezia but ended up getting rerouted and pushed far out of my way trying to get back to Campo de'Fiori (the way the streets were blocked off). It was bumper to bumper people.

I finally worked my way down through some side streets and popped out near Trevi Fountain and found I wasn't allowed to cross over to the side I need to be on so went into a restaurant to wait it out -

You may be okay with the Borghese but I can't say for sure as I didn't go in that direction. Just leave earlier than you planned to to be sure.

You should try to learn about the route the marathon will be taking and which streets will be closed off - it seemed the city was bifurcated for the route, making it difficult to get to one side or the other, depending on which side you were on. If you can start your travel to Palazzo Valentini on the correct side of the route, you should be run into little trouble.

Hope some of that made sense. Upshot is - start wherever you are going a lot earlier than you think you should.

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Marathon Day in Roma

The distance is not great: less than 1.5 miles and about 30 minutes on foot under normal conditions.

Have a look at the marathon map to see how you might be affected:

maratonadiroma.it/public/upload/file/Percors…

My guess is that at 11 or 11:30 am the race will not have arrived back in central Rome, but I may be wrong: I know next to nothing about marathons.

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Marathon Day in Roma

Uh-oh! Just Googled >maratona roma best time<, and I couldn't have been more wrong: it's when most participants will be right in the center.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,503 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Marathon Day in Roma

Wait - you say you will be there on March 20th, the marathon is on Sunday, March 18. If you have these plans on March 20th, you will be fine.

Sorry - just noticed the date - to my chagrin as that is the date I arrive in Rome - rats. I hadn't even thought of the thing again as I have no interest in them. I will probably get caught up in the whole mess coming from the train station. Oh well. No where I'd rather be anyway.

cold spot
Level Contributor
41 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Marathon Day in Roma

Thanks for the info- I will be there on the 18th- wrong date- right event. Good tips- any possibility of using the metro? Coop

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
10,814 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Marathon Day in Roma

Using the Metro, you'd have to change at Termini. I think you can walk in less time, as Zerlina said, its about a 30 minute walk. On the way you could stop for lunch, you'll have time since your visit at the Galleria is 9 am and thats about an hour and your appt. for the Palazzo isn't until 1:15.

Should you decide to walk, from the Galleria walk down the path to the end. Exiting the Borghese Gardens there's a light, go to you left and you'll go thru the ancient walls, then go down Via Veneto to Piazza Barberini turn right to the traffic light and cross over to Via d Quattro Fontane. Its up hill, but at the intersection there are fountains at each corner, cross and continue to Via Nazionale and make a right, continue and just before you have to go down steps to Trajans Mkt, make a right. The road then 'dog legs' to the left, the Palazzo is on the left. The exhibit is really awesome, altho at first it was a little strange to walk on a glass floor.

Since the Marathon is not on that date, you could take the bus as the agent suggested. Another option, is a taxi which would probably be about 12 Euro.

Edited: 24 February 2012, 22:45
7. Re: Marathon Day in Roma

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2013, 23:17