We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Euros

Boise, Idaho
Level Contributor
10 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Euros

When is the best time to buy Euros: before we leave the US or after arrival in Rome? If in Rome, should we buy at airport or at local bank..or where? For a 15 day trip thru Europe, what amount of Euros is recommended?

Houston
Level Contributor
1,246 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Euros

Use an ATM for cash, just as you would at home. Notify your bank & your credit card company of your travel dates and ask that they "flag" your accounts for use in Italy/Europe. Know your daily withdrawal limit and remember that limit is US dollars, so the Euro amount will be less. You can go to www.xe.com for the wholesale/bank-to-bank exchange rate. The banks in Italy will not charge a transaction fee, but your local bank may. You will get the best exchange rate at an ATM.

If you want to have some Euros on hand when you arrive in Rome, they can be purchased from your local bank or online from www.wellsfargo.com. Wells Fargo usually charges about $0.07 above the wholesale exchange rate. I have found them to give a better exchange rate than Chase Bank in the past.

Your credit card company will add 3-5% to each transaction as a "foreign transaction fee". So, be aware.

Small shops and some restaurants will not accept credit cards. If you plan to pay with a credit card, ask if it is acceptable.

No one can tell you how much your 15 day trip will cost - too many variables.

Get a good guide book; I like Rick Steves "ROME". It will give you admission costs to attractions, opening/closing times, and much more info. You will have to estimate your own expenses based on what you plan to see/do and whether you plan to eat at expensive restaurants, etc.

Enjoy your trip!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,124 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Euros

Before you leave for Italy, go to a local bank and purchase enough euros to get you through the first day or two in Italy (in our case, we get about 300 euros just to be safe). Don't wait til the last minute to do this...sometimes it takes a bank a day or two to get them! Get these euros in 20's, 10's...don't get 100 euro notes, some places don't like breaking them on small purchases. Also...if you have an ATM debit card...use it for getting euros while you are in Italy! Do not exchange dollars for euros while there...you will lose up to 20% value. Use an Italian BANK ATM while in Italy...you will pass them frequently on your daily strolls. And of course let your Bank and Credit Card Companies know when your going to be in Italy...otherwise the cards will not work.

Colorado
Level Contributor
313 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Euros

I just got the CapitalOne Venture Card (goldish looking card)

and they don't charge any international foreign transaction fees-

I'm using this for all hotels, major meals, museum tickets, tours...

just about anything that accepts credit cards-

for me the less cash on my person the better

Boise, Idaho
Level Contributor
10 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Euros

Great information! Thanks!

Dianne

Boise, Idaho
Level Contributor
10 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Euros

I am getting good information which I will keep. Thanks so much for your informative information!

Dianne

Boise, Idaho
Level Contributor
10 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Euros

I hadn't thought about ATM's as I don't use them. Will rethink that!

Thanks for good advice!

Dianne

Houston
Level Contributor
1,246 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Euros

I agree that Capitol One has about the best credit card for travel.

Dianne, Rome is plagued with pickpockets (same as NYC's Times Square). I make it a personal policy that each day I only carry as much cash on me as I can afford to loose. I leave extra cash and credit card locked in the hotel room safe. (Yes, there are those who don't trust room safes, but I've never had a problem).

Do not keep valuables in a backpack or wear a shoulder bag that rides your body to the back of your arm. I like an over the body shoulder bag that rests at my waist. Never place your purse on the floor of a restaurant beside or under your chair. If it is uncomfortable to hold it in your lap, place it on the floor, under the table, resting between your feet.

Don't be paranoid, just be aware!

London
Level Contributor
32 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Euros

We tend to split our money between cash from an ATM (mainly for smaller incidental expenses) and load up a pre-paid Mastercard for hotel, meals, tours etc.

I'm in the the UK and use FairFX: http://www.fairfx.com - I assume there's a US equivalent.

9. Re: Euros

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2013, 20:40