We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trattorias vs restaurants

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Trattorias vs restaurants

Hi there.

I am going to Rome in May and have been told it's better to eat in Trattorias than restaurants. Is this the case? Is it because they are cheaper? Don't really mind where we eat as long as the food and service is good!

Likely To Sell Out
Vatican Museums Skip the Line Tour...
23,441 Reviews
from US$82.20*
Likely To Sell Out
Sistine Chapel VIP Private Viewing...
538 Reviews
from US$411.00*
Special Offer
Ancient Rome and Colosseum Skip the...
11,824 Reviews
from US$60.50*
US$67.20
Likely To Sell Out
Rome Colosseum Underground Chambers...
2,919 Reviews
from US$123.30*
sydney
Level Contributor
595 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Trattorias vs restaurants

Tratts are casual and even more family friendly than restaurants. They are usually cheaper but the quality is usually very good. A very good tratt in a central location is Da Luigi on Piazza Sforza Cesarini 24. It offers inexpensive lovely food in a small piazza full of character. Try the Penne alla Vodka, very nice indeed. Have fun

regards

Francoise

www.excusemewhereis.blogspot.com

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trattorias vs restaurants

The distinction between trattoria and ristorante has become very blurred. Some places that were - and still are - trattorie now call themselves ristoranti. One of the high-end restaurants in Rome calls itself simply Trattoria.

I thought penne alla vodka, *the* big thing in the 1980s, had gone out of style.

sydney
Level Contributor
595 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Trattorias vs restaurants

Maybe to those who follow fashion? I always request the dish because I happen to love it but I also love Tiramisu so I guess I will always be an 80's girl at heart!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trattorias vs restaurants

Thanks for the help guys. Much appreciated. By the way, I am staying on Via Nazionale, any suggestions for good food near there?

Edited: 05 March 2012, 00:27
Mentioned in this post
Via Nazionale
Via Nazionale
386 Reviews
Rome, Italy
sydney
Level Contributor
595 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Trattorias vs restaurants

You are in a good central area for restaurants. Here are some close to your accommodation.

It is a long street so bear with me....

Ristorante Abruzzi on Via del Vaccaro 1. The Carbonara is out of this world.

Papok on Salita del Grillo 6b for great fish.

Est Est Est Via Genova 32. Pizza and there is another branch nearby if that is full

Il Pavone Restaurant, Via Palestro 19/b. Haven't been there but heard good things.

Manga Bene!

Francoise.

6. Re: Trattorias vs restaurants

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 18:16