We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Lorenzo or San Giovanni neighborhood?

chennai
Level Contributor
582 posts
110 reviews
Save Topic
San Lorenzo or San Giovanni neighborhood?

Dear friends,

My husband and I have shortlisted two places - one in Via Taranto (12 min walk from Re di Roma stop) and one in San Lorenzo (3-4 min walk from Termini and cheaper). Which is a better place to stay?

We are in our early 30s and into culture, food, art and architecture. We are on a tight budget but if it means good location and safety, we are willing to spend more on that. It will be our first visit to Rome this April.

Thanks in advance,

R

Hagerstown, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,157 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Lorenzo or San Giovanni neighborhood?

Neither area is exactly a hot spot for culture, art, and architecture. Between the two, I'd prefer the one near Termini, since it's easy to get to everything from there using the metro and the buses (a lot of bus routes originate from the area right in front of the station).

sydney
Level Contributor
595 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: San Lorenzo or San Giovanni neighborhood?

San Lorenzo is your best bet. The area is getting a buzz to it nowadays and you will be surrounded by all the amenities you could need and obviously you are close to transport. Keep your wits about you around the Termini and don't let yourself be distracted by strangers asking you questions or approaching you in any manner. Commonsense stuff but useful to remember.

You can walk to the historic centre, the Quirinale district easily and beyond if you like to stretch your legs. Have fun.

Francoise

Excusemewhereis.blogspot.com

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,683 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Lorenzo or San Giovanni neighborhood?

Both of these neighborhoods are far from the sights and you will need to use public transport to get around. I have been in both of the neighborhoods on the way to somewhere, but both are modern and charmless for the most part.

I have been to San Giovanni and it's metro stop (one stop down fron Rei di Roma. Near the San giovanni stop are a number of restauratns I went to whn I stayed in the Celio are near the Colosseum. You can see the Rei di Roma Metro stop and those restautants on the google map

maps.google.com/maps/ms…

Edited: 05 March 2012, 03:01
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: San Lorenzo or San Giovanni neighborhood?

I find both these neighborhoods to be full of life and culture all their own. Sure they are not as beautiful as the historic center, but you will get more of a feel for what it is like to live the life of a Roman .... Vs. the historical center which can sometimes feel like it's full of tourists.

As far as how connected they are to the center, I feel like the Re di Roma area has more transport options --- more buses and the metro. San Lorenzo only really has one bus that goes to the center - 492 - and it's not really a 5 minute walk to termini--- it's more like a 15-20 min walk to the main area of the station, depending on what part of S Lorenzo you are in.

May I ask what the cost is per night of these 2 accommodations and how many nights you are staying? .... the only thing that might be a drag is coming home @ night, since bus and metro have very reduced services at night, you might be stuck spending for taxis...... in which case shelling out a bit extra to be more central might be worth it.

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: San Lorenzo or San Giovanni neighborhood?

The street addresses would also help, or links to the Web pages.

Unless you wanted to go clubbing, public transport runs late enough to get you back even from a late Roman dinner. And there are night buses. San Lorenzo at least is full of places to eat.

chennai
Level Contributor
582 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: San Lorenzo or San Giovanni neighborhood?

Thank you every one for your replies.

We are staying for 3 nights (reaching Rome by train in the afternoon on Day 1 and leaving early morning on Day 4).

The San Lorenzo room (small double room) costs 45 euros a day, the San Giovanni one (large studio that can fit 3-4) around 50 euros a day.

Both are well-lit, airy double bed maisonettes in a B&B, wifi and heat included.

We are not into clubbing, and we definitely don't want to spend for night taxis... we are looking at an early start to the day, so we are looking to come back to the room by 11pm max.

I think I would most like to know which area has more transport options to reach from our various sightseeing during the day... as of now, this is our (tentative) plan

Day 1 - Reach Rome by 1pm, just walk around and soaking in the sights... perhaps a museum, Piazza Navona etc

Day 2 (Liberation Day) - probably do the historic quarter, monuments and ruins, everything is nearby (to avoid getting stranded without public transport).

Day 3 - The Vatican (guessing it will take the whole day?)

Day 4 - Packing and Departure.

Thanks again,

R

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: San Lorenzo or San Giovanni neighborhood?

That is a great deal for B&B....are you sure the price is for the two of you and not per person? It really seems too good to be true!!! They are like hostel prices!

As I mentioned, I believe the V. Taranto location is better connected. The 87 bus is frequent and goes right to the heart of the center. You also have the metro which can take you to the vatican.

I forgot to mention that the # 3 bus also passes through san Lorenzo, which can be handy for visiting trastevere or villa borghese. Also, S. Lorenzo may be livelier @ night.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,683 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: San Lorenzo or San Giovanni neighborhood?

Bus route 87

www.slowphotos.com/photo/showphoto.php…

Bus/tram route 3 near the Colosseum; it circles the edge of Rome and end near Villa Giulia in Villa Borghese park

www.slowphotos.com/photo/showphoto.php…

chennai
Level Contributor
582 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: San Lorenzo or San Giovanni neighborhood?

@penny07

Yes, the rates are per day for a couple :). I found them advertised in AirBnB.com. They are rooms rent out by Roman citizens in their homes, kind of like a paid homestay. I can pm you their links, if you want to take a look at the listings.

@lupaling

Thanks for the routes. I still have not decided... I have now got a quote from another studio, located at Caelian (Celio). I believe it is closer to Colosseum? And only a few euros more than the other 2 rooms... will have to take a decision soon, though! I want to move from stay planning to wardrobe planning ;)

R

chennai
Level Contributor
582 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: San Lorenzo or San Giovanni neighborhood?

Can any one please tell me if Caelian (Celio) is a good place to be based at, for a first trip to Rome?

Thanks,

R