We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best book for walking tours in Rome!

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
66 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Best book for walking tours in Rome!

We will be spending 2 and 1/2 days in Rome in June. We have planned 1 day at the Vatican and 1 day at the Coliseum. We would like to spend some time just strolling and enjoying the sights of Rome.

What book would you recommend for some good self-guided walking tours?

RomeInLimo Tours & Excursions
Walking Tours, Food Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , City Tours, Private Tours
Walks of Italy
Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Day Trips, Walking Tours
Driver Guide Service
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Private Tours
Eyes of Rome
Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Archaeology Tours
Charles City, Iowa
Level Contributor
264 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best book for walking tours in Rome!

Probably Rick Steves gives you the best walking tours. However, if you're staying in a central location and pick up a city map, you will find most of the major sights on your own because they are so close together. Your day at the Colosseum should include Palatine Hill, the Forum and Imperial Forums, and a trip to the top of Vittorio Emman. monument for a breath-taking view of the city. You might also want to include a visit to the Capitoline Museum, if you're not already suffering from museum overload. If you want to wander in the evening, definetely cross Ponte Sisto to Trastevere where you will find great food and atmosphere.

rome
Level Contributor
2,212 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best book for walking tours in Rome!

There is a new walking in Rome book by the National Geographic out today. Although it is not mentioned on the cover, I know it has been written by a very good scholar of Rome (Katie Parla). The book: amazon.com/Walking-Cities-Lifetime-National-…

Ottawa
Level Contributor
963 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best book for walking tours in Rome!

Thanks for the tip, wine gal. The book looks fantastic.

Budapest
Level Contributor
135 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best book for walking tours in Rome!

Hello wine_gal,

Do you know if the national Geographic book is available for purchase in Rome? It would cost me 60 USD to get it shipped where I live before my trip. Thanks.

rome
Level Contributor
2,212 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best book for walking tours in Rome!

I really don't know! will have an eye on it and let you know if I see it.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best book for walking tours in Rome!

I like the Michelin Green Guide for walking tours. The guide is organized by major attractions, such as, for example, the Pantheon. When you read about the Pantheon, that section is followed by a suggested neighborhood walk in the vicinity. The walk will point out architectural features, local history, and other things that are not big tourist attractions, but are very interesting.

Budapest
Level Contributor
135 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best book for walking tours in Rome!

Thanks, Wine_Gal. I will download a different guide and hope to find the NG guide when I get to Rme.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
963 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best book for walking tours in Rome!

The Michelin Green Guide sounds great too, bvlenci. I'm going to have to be careful or my pre-trip reading could wind up cost almost as much as the trip!

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best book for walking tours in Rome!

I never stint on guide books. They usually save me more than they cost. The Michelin Green Guide may not save much money, because doesn't have many suggestions for places to eat or hotels; the Michelin Red Guide has those, although it tends to cover the high end, which isn't my end.

The Green Guide has excellent sections on museums, which may save you renting audio guides. In fact, that's what I've always used at the Vatican Museums. It's not quite enough for the Roman Forum and Palatine Hill, because the maps for those places aren't detailed enough and the sites aren't very well sign posted.

One of the little-known things I discovered in the Green Guide is the "talking statues" of Rome. Back in the days when all of Rome was under the Vatican, and there was no freedom of expression, people used to leave written comments at the base of these statues. Sometimes one statue had a conversation with another, and they weren't always about politics. I happened to be in a hotel near one of these statues, which I had never heard of, beside the church of Sant'Andrea in Valle. I walked around to see it, and since then I've managed to see most of the others.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talking_statues_of_Rome

The Michelin Green Guide is a good one to take out with you each day, because it doesn't weigh much.

Edited: 07 March 2012, 19:20
Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
241 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best book for walking tours in Rome!

I got this series of index cards called "Rome Walks" (sitting on my table right now!). I LOVED them. I knew which areas I was going to be around each day and just pulled those cards out and stuck them in my purse. There are 50 short walking tours, ranging from 30 mins to an hour, with just enough information to be interesting and helpful but doesn't leave you standing in the street reading a novel. definitely recommended!! You can buy them at book stores or book store websites