We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Church touring clothing for teens

Massachusetts
2 posts
Save Topic
Church touring clothing for teens

If you were an Italian teenage girl, and your parents were forcing you to tour a church on a hot summer day, what would your wear?

My daugher is very fashion conscious and is not happy about any of the choices I gave her: long pants (too hot), capris (just not her style) or a skirt long enough to cover her knees (frumpy). I'm just wondering what other teens wearing so she could at least feel like she didn't stand out. Does anyone have a feel for this?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24,736 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Church touring clothing for teens

knees covered so it is either pants or a skirt isn't it? lightweight cotton or linen pants are cool on a hot day. Or she could carry a wrap skirt to wear over shorts when she tours churches (some people wrap a scarf around their waist but this looks as low rent and frumpy as it gets, so it wouldn't meet her need to not look like a doink)

most teens I saw at St. Peters on our last trip were wearing long pants -- we saw people turned away in shorts and in tanks

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,540 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Church touring clothing for teens

It is also shoulders covered as well as knees.

sydney
Level Contributor
595 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Church touring clothing for teens

Light weight cotton cargo pants with a tank and a complementary coloured light cotton shirt over the tank would work. Your daughter could take the shirt off when she is outside and just throw it on when she goes into a church.

Francoise

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
33,205 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Church touring clothing for teens

I would just tell her what the guide lines are and let her choose how she wants to comply. Just be sure she knows that knees and shoulders must be covered while inside. Once outside it doesn't matter.

Donna

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,318 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Church touring clothing for teens

It isn't about her comfort, it is about showing respect when in a church by following the requirements for dress. It applies to males and females.

In Dubai to visit the mosque one is expected to have long pants and a long sleeved top, to cover the head with a scarf and remove your shoes. No one appears to complain about this.

If you can find them, these silk skirts/dresses are popular with young people, take no space in a bag and can be worn in hundreds of ways.

www.jovani-designs.com

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,691 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Church touring clothing for teens

I had this kind of conversation with my daughter when she graduated from 8th grade in a catholic school. Graduation was in church.

A dress/top with SLEEVES is required. maybe only little tiny, cape sleeves but none of that spaghetti strap things. Skirt or dress to the knees. Otherwise she can wait outside while the rest of the family tours the church. Modern teen fashion has gotten to be about so much nakedness. And then girls get offended when men stare

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Church touring clothing for teens

Pick one of your least favourites to visit first, and let her dress as she wishes.

Then, if she's refused entry and has to kick her heels outside for an hour, perhaps she'll join the programme - or at least appreciate that it's you that's imposing the restrictions?

But maybe also have a look through, say, these from last summer - for some idea of what people were actually wearing.....

flickr.com/photos/…

flickr.com/photos/…

Peter

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,760 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Church touring clothing for teens

I’ve been wondering about the dress code too, would a light scarf worn as a wrap covering shoulders be sufficient for a woman? And for men, would shorts that sort of sit on the knee suffice? We will be there in the summer and my husband will only have these long-ish shorts or jeans with him, he would have to buy pants specially if the shorts would get him turned away.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
33 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Church touring clothing for teens

A scarf used as a wrap worked for me. Also, ankle length leggings under a tunic style top could be a suitable compromise for a teen girl.

Rome
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Church touring clothing for teens

Let her know that almost every other fashionable teen in the sites will also be wearing something they don't want to and they can make eye contact and roll their eyes at their wrap around their waist. Everyone in the mid-summer looks miserable and hot and sometimes, horrid. She will be fashionable amongst the fanny pack wearing, knee sock tourist. Believe me. A lot of Italian girls wear longer bohemian style skirts, gladiator sandals, a tank and bring a wrap to put around their shoulders with lots of accessories like big sunglasses and earrings. Italian fashion (and not those TRYING to wear italian fashion is more loose in the summer than American teenagers). They don't wear the shortest shorts, they tend to dress more grown up and sophisticated, as Italian teenagers want nothing else but to be older and sophisticated. Plain solid prints with muted tones, more classic.

I myself, at 33 and a lover of heels struggle with being on my feet all day touring the sites. I can't say that I haven't, a couple of times, worn 4 inch wedges to the Colosseum/Forum for a tour. Its Italy! Che bella figura!