We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel recommendation in Rome please!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
87 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel recommendation in Rome please!

Hi,

We will be spending our honeymoon in Rome in Sept but with so many hotels to chose from we are completely lost!! Can anyone recommend a nice hotel (approx €250 - 270 a night) close to all major attractions with helpful staff and comfortable rooms?

Thanks in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel recommendation in Rome please!

You can narrow down the choice a lot by using one of these reservation sites:

www.venere.com/italy/rome

www.booking.com

On both, you can select a neighborhood and you can sort by guest rating or by price. The guest reviews are reliable on both sites, as only valid guests can post a review.

The number of stars isn't a reliable indicator of overall quality; it just indicates the level of staffing and the services offered. I've stayed in two-star hotels that were nicer than some four-star hotels. I use the number of stars only to give me an idea of what I may expect to find. For example, when I'm looking at a two-star hotel, I check to see if they have an elevator, and if they don't, what floors the hotel occupies. To get an idea of quality, I read the guest reviews, keeping in mind that some people are never satisfied, while others may be enthusiastic about things that I don't care about.

Edited: 15 March 2012, 12:34
Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel recommendation in Rome please!

I forgot to mention:

Rome is a big city, so there are no hotels that are close to *everything*. The most central areas are the Pantheon, Campo de' Fiori, and Piazza Navona. From there, you can walk to nearly everything. With your budget, you should be able to find something nice in one of those areas. If not, try Trevi Fountain, Colosseum, Spagna (or Spanish Steps), or Vatican. These areas are larger and less central, so I would look at the actual location on a map to see how close it is to the more central area; the absolute center is supposed to be Piazza Venezia, but for tourism, I would call the Pantheon the absolute center.

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Pantheon
Pantheon
64,090 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Hotel Fiori
Hotel Fiori
283 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Piazza Navona
Piazza Navona
31,432 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Trevi Fountain
Trevi Fountain
80,113 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Colosseum
Colosseum
120,587 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Spanish Steps
Spanish Steps
18,659 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Vatican
Vatican
244 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Piazza Venezia
Piazza Venezia
2,885 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
87 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel recommendation in Rome please!

Thanks so much for the great advice! Much appreciated

Galesburg, Illinois
Level Contributor
73 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel recommendation in Rome please!

My wife and I stayed met another couple in central Rome a year ago September. With hundreds of hotels to choose from we picked Hotel Albergo Cesari. Not a huge hotel, I think about 50 rooms but the location sealed the deal. The staff was helpful and friendly and had a nice breakfast served up on the roof garden. Our room was big and comfortable. It wa on a quiet alley/street with shops and restaurants all within a short stroll. I would say the Pantheon was 5min away, Trevi Fountain 10min, Piazza Navona 10min, the Spanish Steps 20min, and we are Sr citizens so a young couple like you can also walk to Victor Emmanuel and Colleseum and Forum but for some of the attractions we used a Hop on and Off bus. We would stay and am thinking of going back to Rome at the Albergo Cesari again. The Pantheon, only 5min walk had some nice outside restaurants in the plaza.

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Pantheon
Pantheon
64,090 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Trevi Fountain
Trevi Fountain
80,113 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Piazza Navona
Piazza Navona
31,432 Reviews
Rome, Italy
fredrikstad
Level Contributor
20 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel recommendation in Rome please!

we were in hotel white near trevi fountain, comfortable and close to everything.

north carolina
Level Contributor
290 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel recommendation in Rome please!

Take a look at Le Clarisse - Pantheon (not the one in Trastevere). Relatively new. Great location. Good reviews in Trip Advisor. And, there is a Trip Advisor special, reserve a standard room and get a deluxe. We are giving it a go in June.

Mentioned in this post
Pantheon
Pantheon
64,090 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Trastevere
Trastevere
12,493 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
2,510 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel recommendation in Rome please!

I second Hotel Albergo Cesari!!!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,158 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel recommendation in Rome please!

We love the Relais Maddalena on the piazza of the same name. It's just 2 minutes to the Pantheon, get a room with a view of the piazza. Large rooms, good beds, the mini-bar info is correct, close to most sites. good restaurants and shopping. Great owner and staff. Book early...like right now. The reviews are true...

Mentioned in this post
Relais Maddalena
Relais Maddalena
344 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Pantheon
Pantheon
64,090 Reviews
Rome, Italy
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,158 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel recommendation in Rome please!

Oh...here is the site:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187791-d176665…

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
106 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel recommendation in Rome please!

I must third the Albergo Cesari. We stayed there in 2010 and thought the hotel was great. For the price I wasn't expecting anything over the top, but the staff was very nice, room was quite apcious and clean. That summer was an extremely hot summer and must say for a very old biulding that AC worked phenominal.

As stated by silverstreak60, the location is what makes it that much better. Buffet breakfast is nice and the rooftop louch is nice to just relax. We are going back to Rome again this summer and we did not hesitate booking with Albergo Cesari again. We got locked in to a rate of 115 euros/night.

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy