We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sleep in Italy asking for full rental amount upfront in Rome

Sydney, Australia
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Sleep in Italy asking for full rental amount upfront in Rome

Hi,

I am travelling to Italy for the first time in April 2012 and have been asked by Sleep In Italy to pay the owner the balance of the full weeks rental 20 days in advance of arrival ? Thius makes me quite nervous as tehre is no fallback once we arrive if we have paid upfront. This seems wuite asn unusal practive. I have already paid a 30% deposit via Paypal and they w\ant the balance via bank transfer. The apartment is called Monserrato Violet

https:/…

What do you suggest I do ? I would prefer to pay the balance on arrival ?

KJ

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Sleep in Italy asking for full rental amount upfront in Rome

"Rome capital apartments" (RCA) did this to me and they claimed it was because mine was an extended stay of 5 weeks. You should check their policies page --- they should have one.

I refused to pay RCA because there was nothing in their policy that stated that, it only said to pay the 20% or so and it did not define what an extended stay meant. They were quite rude via email and I requested to see further proof of this policy, but they just stopped responding to my emails. I would NEVER send all the money upfront!!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Sleep in Italy asking for full rental amount upfront in Rome

here is the policy. it says you can pay 20 days prior or upon arrival... it seems like there is a choice..... it also says to pay 10-20% deposit.... you have already paid 30%!!!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Sleep in Italy asking for full rental amount upfront in Rome

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,801 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sleep in Italy asking for full rental amount upfront in Rome

Interesting! I have booked this same apartment for six nights in early May. I paid a 20% deposit by Paypal, and now see the confusion about when the balance is to be paid. Although I've rented several times in Rome, this is my first time renting through Sleep in Italy.

I was expecting to be required to pay the balance 20 days before, although I am not happy about this. Now I see that at the very end of the voucher there's a statement about paying in cash in euro at check-in. Particularly as I am starting my trip elsewhere in Italy, and so will not need to accumulate Euros immediately upon landing, I would much prefer this!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,431 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sleep in Italy asking for full rental amount upfront in Rome

I have always paid at check in with SII. Just contact them and state your preference for paying on arrival. If it is the owner demanding it, ask SII if they have another apartment without this demand. I simply won't operate this way any more.

In Paris it is quite difficult to find places that don't want all the money up front. It is a lot easier to find them in Rome.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
81 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sleep in Italy asking for full rental amount upfront in Rome

I am renting from them in May and will pay on arrival as I did two years ago.I have fond them a good company to deal with and you should contact them about your concerns

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,096 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sleep in Italy asking for full rental amount upfront in Rome

Paying cash on checking on renting Italaina apts is normal.

Paying the whole amount 20 days in advance is not.

I would tell them I was cash on arrival only. If they refuse, you could be looking for a new apt though.

UK
Level Contributor
3,188 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sleep in Italy asking for full rental amount upfront in Rome

In our experience, especially if you book and pay through an agency, full payment in advance can part of the Ts & Cs. For example

summerinitaly.com/booking-on-line/rental-ter…

italianbreaks.com/vacations-in-italy/page=1

We have paid in advance ourselves on more than one occasion.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,431 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sleep in Italy asking for full rental amount upfront in Rome

The T&Cs definitely offer an option. The 20 days in advance is for bank transfers, presumably to ensure time for it to be properly processed.

Cheltenham, United...
Level Contributor
547 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sleep in Italy asking for full rental amount upfront in Rome

We have booked with them too although for a different apartment. We have been told to pay the balance in cash on arrival but have been considering paying it in advance by the bank transfer as I am a little hesitant at having to arrive with over 500 euros in cash on my person.

So I do understand your concerns as I have some too about both methods lol