We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Apartment nr Ospedale Pediatrico Bambini in Trastevere Rome

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5,171 posts
197 reviews
Save Topic
Apartment nr Ospedale Pediatrico Bambini in Trastevere Rome

I am looking at renting a great looking apartment in Salita di Sant'Onofrio about 100 meters north of the children's hospital. I have googled the area and frankly it doesn't look great. I travel solo and am not out after dark, but even the daytime photos don't look inviting. Are there any shops, restaurants, delis, supermarkets, etc. near there or is my nearest market (as the apartment suggests) Campo de'Fiori "a 10 minute walk". Or would I be better off looking at something in the Vaticano area?

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,686 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Apartment nr Ospedale Pediatrico Bambini in Trastevere Rome

I have walked past that area in the evening along the Tibr Embankment road. on my way south to Ponte Garibaldi where I was staying. The Hospital is the white guy in the wheelchair on the map

maps.google.com/maps/ms…

You are right across the river from the Campo fiori neighborhood whihc has restaurants and shops.

Here is the view southward fron atop castel Sant'Anglo

www.slowphotos.com/photo/showphoto.php…

it is 2 bridges down from there.

Although not exactly right across the river on your bridge, this the view across the river in that neighborhood by castel Sant' Angelo

Bus 64 goes very near there eastward.

Edited: 22 March 2012, 01:56
St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,686 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Apartment nr Ospedale Pediatrico Bambini in Trastevere Rome

Your street is the blue question mark on this detailed map

maps.google.com/maps/ms…

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5,171 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Apartment nr Ospedale Pediatrico Bambini in Trastevere Rome

While the photos are lovely - what about the actual area near the hospital where the apartment is? Is it OK? Safe? Etc.

sydney
Level Contributor
595 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Apartment nr Ospedale Pediatrico Bambini in Trastevere Rome

Dale, the area is fine. Don't be bothered about the grafitti, it is all over Rome.They don't freak out about it as much as we do here in Oz. It looks to me like you are more in the Janiculum region than the Trastevere. Gorgeous views to be had from this area. You should be quite safe. There is a good police presence in the area and Rome is not known for random violent crime. Avoid catching the 64 bus, however. It is teaming with pickpockets and always crowded.

Most of your basic amenities will be found in the Vatican Area or the Campo di Fiori. Both of which honestly are about a ten minute walk away. The closest supermarkest will be

In the Vatican Area

Sigma on Largo di Porta Castello 1

In the Campo

Di per Dii on Corso Vittorio Emanuele 290

Despar on Vicolo della Moretta 10

The closest pharmacies can be found In the Campo di Fiori/Piazza Navona Areas.

Farmacia Comunale on Corso Vittorio Emanuele II 343

Farmacia Celestini on Via dei Banchi Vecchi 24

If you want easy, ultra fast access to basic amenties, stay in the Vatican Area. On reflection that may be the best choice for a solo female traveller if you have concerns about safety and distances to supermarkets, pharmacies etc. Everything you could possibly need will be on your doorstep.

I hope I have helped a little and have a wonderful holiday wherever you stay!

Francoise

Excusemewhereis.blogspot.com

Edited: 22 March 2012, 08:16
Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Apartment nr Ospedale Pediatrico Bambini in Trastevere Rome

I know the area, as I stayed near there twice last summer when my daughter was participating in symposium at the American Academy on the Janiculum. There really aren't a lot of shops or restaurants there, and, depending on exactly where you'd be on the Salita, Campo dei Fiori could be a good 20-minute walk. Piazza della Rovere would probably be closer, but that's not really a lively area, either.

I myself would prefer to be in a more residential area. This is mostly large institutions, either religious or medical.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5,171 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Apartment nr Ospedale Pediatrico Bambini in Trastevere Rome

Thank you all for your replies. I did wonder about those big buildings on google maps. Obviously not apartments. I will concentrate on apartments in the Vaticano and Plati areas - more suitable for me, I think

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,768 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Apartment nr Ospedale Pediatrico Bambini in Trastevere Rome

And don't forget about the Campo dei Fiori area, which many of us solo female travellers love for convenience to shops and transportation, as well as sights and sites,

8. Re: Apartment nr Ospedale Pediatrico Bambini in Trastevere Rome

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 14:40