We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gardens in Rome

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York
Level Contributor
209 posts
104 reviews
Save Topic
Gardens in Rome

Hi all,

Granted I haven't done much research yet, but I am looking for advice from gardeners or experts who may know of gardens within the city that should not be missed. wondering if there's anything comparable to Les Jardins du Luxumbourg in Paris; a bit of sculpture, gorgeous landscaping and flowers (even though this will be nearing the end of the season, but in Rome should still be fine). Or, any combination of the above. Thanks!

cambridge ontario
Level Contributor
337 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gardens in Rome

Have you seen the Monty Don series of Great Italian Gardens on PBS?

He visits many gorgeous gardens throughout Italy and the shows are worth a watch. The one near Rome ( not exactly " in " Rome ) is the Tivoli. It looks stunning with all of its fountains. We are planning a visit in May. Counting the days!!!

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gardens in Rome

For some reason we've never been there, but...

reidsitaly.com/destinations/lazio/rome/sight…

it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orto_botanico_di_Roma

(less details, and fewer photos, on the English version!)

or see here:

060608.it/en/…orto-botanico.html

... but we did enjoy...

http://www.villamedici.it/en/home/

Peter

Edited: 24 March 2012, 11:53
Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gardens in Rome

Here's the bit specifically about the gardens there...

www.villamedici.it/en/history/3/gardens

P

New York
Level Contributor
209 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gardens in Rome

Thanks so much! Will definitely check that out!

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
10,083 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gardens in Rome

A few years ago I spent the day on the 'other side of the Tiber'.

Visted Villa Farnesina (Mon-Sat 9-1), small private garden, Raphael's 'Triumph of Galatea' is beautiful, he designed the ceiling too.

Crossed the street to the Nat'l Gallery of Palazzo Corsini, the Botanical Gardens are located just to the left, of the entrance to the Galleria. There's some beautiful views overlooking Rome.

Villa Borghese Gardens are a wonderful way to relax and enjoy the scenery.

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Gardens in Rome

I don't know what you mean by "late in the season", but the Municipal Rose Garden is reportedly lovely in season. It's generally open for around a month in May/June.

The Giardino di Ninfa in Sermoneta, even further from Rome than Tivoli, is open certain days of the week through October.

www.fondazionecaetani.org/visita_ninfa.php?

Then, for something out of the ordinary, there's the Monster Park of Bomarzo, also outside Rome:

http://www.bomarzo.net/index_en.html

(not an official site and thus possibly to be called a "blog", unlike the Vatican Gardens pages I linked you to, which are from the official Web site of the government of the independent city-state of the Vatican)

Winchester...
Level Contributor
155 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gardens in Rome

I suggest you google "secret gardens Rome" for some ideas a bit off the beaten path ... good luck!

8. Re: Gardens in Rome

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 10:16