We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rome vs FCO and into Rome for the evening?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Rome vs FCO and into Rome for the evening?

I have a car rental to drop at FCO and leave following day..

Should I drop the car and go into Rome for the o/n or stay by airport and get in/out for the evening?

Any good hotel suggestions ?

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
710 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rome vs FCO and into Rome for the evening?

Many will advise you to stay in Rome for your last night. For me it all depends....if I am arriving by train to Rome...then I usually stay in Rome and find transportation to the airport in the morning. If however I am arriving back in Rome at FCO (either because of car rental return or a flight from some other city in Italy) for my departure back to the US, I usually stay at the Airport Hilton. The Airport Hilton is the only airport hotel that operates a free shuttle service into Rome. It operates every 2 hours I believe. Last shuttle from Rome returns at 11:00PM. Price is a bit higher than other airport hotels...but free shuttle offsets the cost somewhat. Usually by the last night...11:00 is plenty for us and then for the early morning flight we are already at the airport and don't have to feel the stress of getting up and getting to the airport in the morning.

If returning car to FCO...factor in cost of Taxi or express train into Rome and then return to FCO in the morning. Taxi =40euro, express train 14 (or 28 if 2 people) and times 2 for 2 trips. So 80 euro by taxi, 56 euro by train. But you also have hassle factor of luggage on train, carry it to hotel if staying in Termini area or additional taxi fare if further away. Bus would be cheaper....but just drive nails into my head rather than navigate buses with luggage. If you feel like you really want to stay in Rome the final night you could try to return car to Termini if you feel brave enough.

I am usually in the minority with the adice to stay at the airport hilton instead of Rome. But I never feel like I was cheated out of the last night. The shuttle is hassle free, I get an entire evening in Rome and I am already at the airport in the morning.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24,709 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rome vs FCO and into Rome for the evening?

I would stay at the airport and take the train into Trastevere for the evening -- it makes the morning so easy. We have done this and loved it. Of course if you are already in Rome then don't switch to the airport but if you have to drop the car at FCO, this is easy.

The Hilton has a shuttle into town if you stay with them.

Hot Sulphur...
Level Contributor
880 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rome vs FCO and into Rome for the evening?

We always stay at the Airport Hilton on our last night as we are returning to Rome from Abruzzo with a rental car to return. We visit Rome at the beginning of our visit, staying in the Navona area.

The Hilton's shuttle is great. Sometimes we use it, sometimes we just veg at the Hilton.

Safe travels.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rome vs FCO and into Rome for the evening?

I usually advise staying in Rome EXCEPT if you're willing to pay the price to stay at the airport Hilton. (Make sure it's the Airport Hilton, not some other Hilton.) The other airport hotels mostly require using expensive taxis or unreliable and expensive hotel shuttles to go anywhere.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24,709 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rome vs FCO and into Rome for the evening?

good point -- being AT the airport is one thing -- being NEAR the airport quite another

Hot Sulphur...
Level Contributor
880 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rome vs FCO and into Rome for the evening?

Yes. Be sure it is the Rome Hilton Airport hotel AT FCO. NOT the Hilton Garden Inn... Very different.

Safe travels.

7. Re: Rome vs FCO and into Rome for the evening?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 11:17