We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rome for a Weekend

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Rome for a Weekend

Hello,

It is my wife's 30th birthday in June and I was planning on taking her to Rome for a long weekend. Could only probably do Friday and come back Sunday due to her work. Was looking at going Friday 22nd June

She would like to visit the following:

Colosseum

Pantheon

Trevi Fountain

Forum Romanum

Spanish Steps

Vatican City

Sistine Chapel

An probably a few more if we could...we are both able bodied people and not mind walking and exploring if the weather is nice.

So I was wondering where the best region of the city is to stay in with regards to visiting these attractions.

I have been told that the best region would be near to the Colosseum, the Colosseo region of Rome. Been recommend the Hotel Capo d'Africa...???

However am open to suggestions and would like to know if the walking to the above attractions is feasible? Or is public transport better?

Thank You

Trevi Fountain
Fountains, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Piazza di Spagna
Architectural Buildings, Historic Walking Areas, Fountains, Points of Interest & Landmarks
pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
35,483 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rome for a Weekend

The Capo D'Africa is a wonderful hotel. It's in a good area and close to public transport links. You'll certainly be able to walk to the sites from it.

As for an itinerary, if you fly in early on Friday you can visit the colosseum and forum.

Saturday will need to be your Vatican day. Pre-book entry tickets or a tour of the museums in order to avoid the lines. The museums are the only way to get to the Sistine chapel. There is a metro stop right by the colosseum that you can take, switch at the termini and continue to the museums entrance.

…vatican.va/musei/tickets/do…

You can easily visit the pantheon, trevi fountain and spanish steps on Sunday.

If you get into Rome late on Friday afternoon just switch the Sunday and Friday itinerary but it should work fine. Stop into any church you come across to see the wonderful artwork inside.

Donna

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rome for a Weekend

I don't agree about the ease of walking to everything from the Hotel Capo d'Africa. It would be about an hour's walk to the Vatican, and over half an hour to the Spanish Steps or the Pantheon. It's very close, however, to the Colosseum and the Roman Forum. As Donna says, there is adequate public transportation near the hotel, but it's not what I would call ideal for walking.

If you really want to be able to walk to all these places, I suggest you try to find a hotel near the Campo de'Fiori or the Pantheon.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rome for a Weekend

We arrive in Rome airport at 11:00 so nice and early, however if we have to come back then the flight is at 12:00 on Sunday so we wont have time to do anything on the Sunday.

That is why I am hoping that we can stay until the Monday to travel back, however it depends on the wifes ability to have the time off work...I would prefer to have the Friday, Saturday and Sunday in Rome and come home on Monday!

I will look at hotels near the Pantheon, the advantage we have is we are early risers, so we could start site seeing from 08:00-08:30 in the morning so we could do the Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain and Pantheon and then go to Vatican City.

Thank you anyway for all the helpful information so far.

Just realised how terrible my grammar is, however am speed typing this in work before i get caught by the boss..!!!

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rome for a Weekend

Boothy, you may find this map of the city centre useful.....

http://www.pbase.com/image/141538449

There's a link there to the full version, which is somewhat clearer!

Whilst the distances aren't enormous, there's little point in not being as central as you can?

For getting around in that area, this is usual supplement to Shanks' pony...

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/electric_buses

Peter

Edited: 27 March 2012, 14:44
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rome for a Weekend

Had a very quick look at hotels in the Pantheon region and they are all coming up at 1000+ Euros for two nights? (Friday & Saturday night)

Which is nearly double the amount for hotels in the Colosseo region!

Is google just randomly throwing up very expensive hotels or is it always that dear to stay there?

Am not tight with money put cant see the advantage of spending double the amount to be closer to the sites as am sure getting taxis everywhere will be cheaper...??? Even cheaper if we went by public transport?

Thank you A_Brit_In_Ischia will look at them links when am at home as they are currently banned at work...

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rome for a Weekend

Use one of these booking sites to find hotels:

www.booking.com

www.venere.com/italy/rome

Both allow you to choose a neighborhood. You could try Navona as well as the Pantheon area. June is high season, but you should be able to find something reasonable in that area. This hotel, for example, is extremely well located, and quite reasonable. I've stayed there several times:

www.booking.com/hotel/it/arenula.en-gb.html

It doesn't have a lift, but you say you're both young and fit ...

The Hotel Campo de'Fiori is also very well located, but a bit more expensive:

www.booking.com/hotel/it/arenula.en-gb.html

I've never stayed there, but one of our regular contributors here on TA has stayed there several times.

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
6,190 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rome for a Weekend

I agree much better to stay near the Pantheon or Campo dei Fiori, Ive stayed at these places all very good and great location

www.cityshouse.com

http://www.estercampodefiori.com/index.php

http://www.smeraldoroma.com/inglese/hotel.htm

The Smeraldo being the more expensive of the three

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rome for a Weekend

Thank you for all your help, I was going to surprise my wife and keep the trip a secret from her until at least June. However she has been ill and work has been stressful for her so I told her the surprise early.

She has looked into places to stay and we are now staying at a B&B called Cara Di Sara which has come highly recommended from Trip Advisor and other websites.

The good news is though that we are now going for 3 nights instead of two so that we have (hopefully) enough time to fit everything in. We are going to start trying for a baby in November so decided to go travelling more now.

So once again thank you everyone for your help and am sure I will be on here later for the best way to view everything nearer to the time...

dbabe will be looking at your itinerary and taking it into consideration...although we arrive in Rome at 11:00 on the Friday am thinking of:

Friday

Coliseum

Forum

Palatine Hill

Saturday

Vatican City tour

????

Sunday

Trevi Fountain

Spanish Steps

????

Maybe swap Sunday and Friday around...and am hoping of visiting The Profondo Rosso Store which is situated at 260 Via Dei Gracchi as am a bit of a horror geek.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
42,767 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Rome for a Weekend

I don't see the Pantheon, Campo de'Fiori, Piazza Navona or anywhere in Trastevere on your itinerary. If nothing other than the main square in Trastevere where the beautiful Basilica di Santa Maria is located, I hope you make the short walk over the Tiber River from Campo de'Fiori area to take a peek at it.

And, obviously, the Pantheon is one of the wonders of Rome (if not the world) - and it is close to Piazza Navona, which too cannot (or should not) be missed).

10. Re: Rome for a Weekend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 April 2013, 10:21