We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Your favorite museum???

Chicago
Level Contributor
98 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Your favorite museum???

I'd love input from fellow travelers! I'm trying to put together a list of museums that we want to hit (8 day visit). We are museum people with art history backgrounds. I have already booked 2 visits to the Vatican Museums (different days to give us time to see different sections in depth) and will be booking the Galleria Borghese. We will also be sightseeing major churches connecting with specific works of art, the forums, Tivoli and Ostia Antica.

I wondered if any one out there has favorite museums among the Capitoline, Castel Sant' Angelo, Galleria Doria Pamphilij, Roman National Museum, etc. Any other favorites?

I know I'll have to exclude some of the above - It won't be possible to include all that there is to see and actually enjoy the experience! I'd love to hear if anyone has a particular favorite they'd like to recommend!

Thanks!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Your favorite museum???

I love the modern art museum located in the northern most part of Villa Borghese.

I have never been to the Maxxi, but I plan to visit it on my next trip.

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
10,814 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Your favorite museum???

Museo Nazionale Etrusco di Villa Giulia (closed Mondays), its a short walk outside the wall at Piazza del Popolo. The Etruscan collection is housed in the villa of Pope Julius III, it was a nice break to wander the Villa and grounds too.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Your favorite museum???

Can I have two? Well, three actually...

Villa Torlonia and, on the same site, the tiny but lovely Casina delle Civette

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/vtorl

And then the Centrale Montemartini - so good I go back a decade later and photograph it all again...

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/martini_2011

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/martini

Others, and some churches you might like, here..

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/places_rome

Peter

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,141 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Your favorite museum???

Lovely pictures, Peter. My indoor pictures in churches never come out so well.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Your favorite museum???

I really can't decide on one favorite. I highly recommend the Galleria Barberini, which has a superb collection of Italian painting, from the medieval period to the Baroque. The Capitoline Museums is another of my favorites. The Doria Pamphilj Gallery has a few great works, along with a number of mediocre ones. They are displayed as paintings were normally displayed in the Renaissance, that is, with art covering nearly every inch of wall. This makes it a little difficult to focus on any one painting. The palazzo itself is the real attraction, in my opinion.

The Roman National Museum is four different museums. I've seen three of them, and my favorite is the one at the Baths of Diocletian. Not so much for the art, as to see the ruins of the baths, and the ancient tombs that are in a hall to the left (I think) of the main museum as you enter. The main museum has a *very* interesting exhibit about ancient writing, both what it looked like and what people wrote, back when writing was the latest hi-tech means of communication.

Palazzo Altemps and Palazzo Massimo, two of the other sites of the National Roman Museum, both have collections that I think pale beside the Capitoline Museums. I haven't seen Crypta Balbi yet.

Castel Sant'Angelo doesn't have a permanent collection; it houses temporary exhibits, some of which are better than others.

I suggest that you check to see what's on at the Scuderia del Quirinale and at the Vittoriano complex for the dates of your exhibit. The Scuderia tends to host very high-profile shows, and the Vittoriano has less glamourous, but often excellent shows. Until the 10th of June, the Scuderia has a very highly acclaimed Tintoretto show, which we're planning to see. The Vittoriano has, until the end of June, a show on Salador Dalì. You can see temporary exhibits here:

www.inrometoday.it/ita/mostre/index.htm

Other museums I like are the Galleria Corsini, which is across from the Billa Farnesina. The Farnesina has some excellent frescoes. Both could be seen easily in a morning. The Farnesina is set in a pretty garden.

When you're at the Vatican Museums, don't miss the Egyptian Collection and the Etruscan collection. I would be inclined, given your restricted time, to try to see it all in one day, perhaps taking a nice long break in the cafeteria to have lunch and rest your feet. It's a very, very tiring museum space, because of the extreme crowding, and it would pretty much finish me off for any other museums or archaeological sites on the same day. A nap and a spell on a park bench are about as much as I can manage after a visit to the Vatican Museums.

Edited: 31 March 2012, 18:14
Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Your favorite museum???

Laura - thanks!

One of the great advantages of digital over film is being able to "bracket" the exposure without every shot costing a small fortune.... and that's what I try to remember do whenever the light seems a bit tricky.

Takes only a couple of button presses, and usually one or another of the results will be about right!

If not, there's always Photoshop....

Peter

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Your favorite museum???

<< I suggest that you check to see what's on at the Scuderia del Quirinale and at the Vittoriano complex for the dates of your exhibit. >>

I meant, of course, << the dates of your visit. >>

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,503 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Your favorite museum???

Besides all of that have been mentioned, this past month, I visited the Palazzo delle Esposizioni and saw their Guggenheim American Avant Garde collection and a National Geographic exhibit. I bought a ticket there that also got me into the Tintoretto exhibit at the Scuderie. http://english.scuderiequirinale.it/Home.aspx to check for their exhibits

I also always stop in at the small but delightful space, Museo di Roma, in Trastevere (not to be confused with the larger Museo di Roma). They usually have one or two photographic exhibits; this trip, they had two excellent, compelling exhibits that I would have been heartbroken to have missed.

So - I always check to see what's on at the time I am there.

The Ara Pacis is another space worth investigating. Stunning space right on the Tiber River:

http://www.ara-pacis-museum.com/

After many many trips and countless attempts to enter, I finally did get into the small but interesting (and bizarre) museum of criminology just off Via Giulia not far from Campo de'Fiori. Worth every euro (which I think was about 3 euros; I would have been happy to pay more) - if you have an interest and are in the area:

www.museocriminologico.it/storia_3_uk.htm

I also liked the Goethe rooms/museo: http://www.casadigoethe.it/en.html

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
27,666 posts
5,752 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Your favorite museum???

Not sure if you're taking down a list of church visits or not, but I might suggest adding Santa Passade to that list if so. Very nice wall to wall frescos, seems some dating back to the 8th century, really good stuff here. Here is a review (w/pictures) if interested.

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g187791-d246…

Have a great time in Rome.

sydney
Level Contributor
595 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Your favorite museum???

My mind is still reeling from someone describing the Pamphili as having a 'few' great works! It is one of the finest private art collections in the world and a visit will reward you with many, many joys. Three Caravaggios', none of them mediocre, Claude Lorrain,Raphael, Titian, Hans Memling, Bruegel the Elder,Bassano, one of Vasari's few really stunning works, a luminous still life from Kessel,powerful works from Guercino and I haven't even mentioned The Portrait of Pope Innocent X! The audio guide is a treasure and proves a perfect companion to a stroll around the museum. A very special place indeed.

Another exciting pictorial experience is to view the Frescoes of Livia's Garden Room from the Villa di Livia at Prima Porta in the Museo Nazionale Romano in Palazzo Massimo. The paintings are so understandable and uplifting. I can even see a little of Matisse in them for some reason. The museum itself is light, spacious and packed with ancient Roman and Greek sculpture. The mosaics are really beautiful and the Grottorossa mummy in the basement is a trip!

…beniculturali.it/en/museums/national-roman-…

If you haven't already planned to, I hope you take some time to look at Borromini's work in the city. Sant'Ivo is exceptionally fine and you can combine a visit with some coffee and people watching in Piazza Navona. Poor Borromini. So long in Bernini's shadow, I am glad his work is being recognised at last. Have a wonderful time, I am sure you will discover your own favourites during your trip.

Francoise

Excusemewhereis.blogspot.com

Edited: 01 April 2012, 06:26