We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestion for good walking sandals May/June

Fort Wayne, Indiana
Level Contributor
145 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestion for good walking sandals May/June

We are venturing to Italy for our first European trip. Will be gone 2.5 weeks and I am in search of a comfortable walking sandal shoe that will look stylish enough to not instantly deem me "a dumb American" but will also keep my feet from falling off with all the walking....

Thanks in advance!!

albuquerque
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestion for good walking sandals May/June

I like Clarks, Propets, and SAS sandals. I've had good luck with all. Be sure to break them in first !

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,889 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestion for good walking sandals May/June

I also like Ecco

Fort Wayne, Indiana
Level Contributor
145 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestion for good walking sandals May/June

Any specific styles within these brands? We are going to be hoofing it A LOT and being that I am trying to pack lighter than I ever have for any trip...I want to have two pairs of shoes. Looking for comfort and versatility. We will not being eating/going to many super fancy establishments except maybe while in Sicily. Thank you so much...this clueless midwesterner is doing her best to avoid the whole, "white sneaker and jeans" look.

sydney
Level Contributor
595 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestion for good walking sandals May/June

Cole Haan Air's can be cute. They look like ballet flats but have the arch support of an athletic shoe without the bulk. Geox Piuma and Aerosoles are all good too. If your budget allows, Tods make gorgeous flats that stand the cobblestones test and they last and last. These shoes are great when visiting a city.

Naot Valerie,Geox D Felisa,ECCO Groove Gladiator Sandal all have style and function. Ecco can be a bit 'granola' for my tastes but the gladiator sandal is fierce! :) Cetain styles never go out of fashion so if you go for a ballet flat and a gladiator style or roman style sandal, you can't go wrong.

Hope that helps

Francoise

Excusemewhereis.blogspot.com

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,387 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestion for good walking sandals May/June

I really like Merrell's, Ecco, and Josef Seibel. I've had great luck with all 3 brands on several trips to Italy.

Deerfield, Illinois
Level Contributor
103 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestion for good walking sandals May/June

great question--I spent all weekend looking for shoes for our Italy trip with NO LUCK! I may end up being the American with the white sneakers.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
542 posts
371 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestion for good walking sandals May/June

I have a pair of Ecco sandals (the kind with velcro straps across the instep and the toes, I think called Breeze?) that I've worn all over Europe, very comfortable.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestion for good walking sandals May/June

I like Ecco, Josef Seibel, and SAS. Everyone has different feet. Brands that are comfortable on some people are not on others. I suggest that if you have very comfortable walking shoes or sandals already, you should bring them. A new pair of shoes is an unknown quantity, and they may be torture for your feet after you've been walking for hours on the uneven paving of Rome.

Don't worry about style. The comfort of your feet is far more important. My Italian husband *always* wears white athletic shoes when we go to Rome.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
104,126 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Suggestion for good walking sandals May/June

Comfort, standing cobblestones, and grip trump style - Geox, Mephisto, Tod’s, Ecco, Birkenstock....

Vagabonda

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Suggestion for good walking sandals May/June

I forgot about Mephisto. I also have a very comfortable pair of Mephisto walking sandals.