We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Picnic supplies for Ostia Antica

Dublin
Level Contributor
270 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Picnic supplies for Ostia Antica

Hi there

We're planning to do a day trip to Ostia Antica in a couple of weeks time and I was hoping to pick up picnic supplies in Testaccio market before hopping on the metro at Pyramide but I have just read that the market is moving this month :-(. I was really looking forward to picking up some amazing cheese, salami, bread etc. Is there somewhere else close to the Pyramide station that I could find these or somewhere at the other end? I could shop in Campo di Fiori before setting off but would worry that the food might spoil in the heat.

Would really appreciate any suggestions!!

thanks in advance

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,036 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Picnic supplies for Ostia Antica

I have been to the Piramide Metro stop area repeatedly catching buses there. It is a nondense part of town. Not a lot of stores there.

Ostia Antica has a cafeteria that serves decent hot and cold food and take credt cards. They have gelato.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,036 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Picnic supplies for Ostia Antica

There is Volpetti

timeout.com/rome/…volpetti

red fire on this google map

it is a bit of a hike from the Piramide Metro stop

maps.google.com/maps/ms…

Virginia
Level Contributor
2,035 posts
491 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Picnic supplies for Ostia Antica

While the Ostia Antica cafeteria was incredibly crowded when we went on a Tuesdsay... (lots of school groups) I was incredibly impressed by what they had available. We took a small backpack to hold our water bottles and camera and that's all we needed. The prices weren't all that bad either if I recall. I think we shared a panini and gelato to hold us over until we got back to Rome. :-)

sydney
Level Contributor
595 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Picnic supplies for Ostia Antica

There are loads of stores in Testaccio to buy supplies that are fresh and lovely without relying on the market.

Near the metro

Conad Supermarket Conad on Piazza Vittorio Bottego 119-124

Despar on Piazzale dei Partigiani 4. Closer to Ostiense station but easy walking distance.

Remember that supermarkets in Rome have lots of fresh produce and deli delights for you to take on a picnic.

Also

Canestro Alimentari on Via Luca della Robbia 12

Palombi Alimentari on Piazza Testaccio 35 and others....

Hope that helps

Francoise

Excusemewhereis.blogspot.com

Edited: 03 April 2012, 00:02
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Picnic supplies for Ostia Antica

I would say that piramide/testaccio is very dense, tons of stuff to choose from as some of the above posters said .

Does anyone know where the market is moving to? IT'S MY FAVORITE !!!!

rome
Level Contributor
2,200 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Picnic supplies for Ostia Antica

The market is "scheduled" to move in May, they have set some conditions to be met by the municipality before they move, so is not even clear if it will happen in May. Meaning,

* if you are going in April, the market is still there.

*second, It will move to a new building not too far away (the block between Benjamin Franklin, Lorenzo Ghiberti, Aldo Manuzio and Alessandro Volta), so even if it moves, it won't be a problem to go there.

*third, the area is choc-full of specialty stores (not supermarkets) where you can do your shopping, Volpetti being the most famous but also the most expensive one.

All this assuming it is not a sunday you are considering. if it is, you will need to go to the farmers market in the ex-mattatoio (old slaughterhouse), also not too far away. But that is also in danger of being moved away. actually that is one of the biggest conditions the "normal" market people have set up to agree to move to the new location - the weekend-only farmers market being moved further away; because it is effecting their sales. They can't cope with competition.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Picnic supplies for Ostia Antica

There is also a small grocer in the town of Ostia Antica, near the archaeological site, I've never shopped there, but it's recommended by some of the archaeologists who work there. See the section "Food, drink, and money" on page 2 of this guide:

http://ostia-antica.org/touristguide.pdf

You also might want to print the whole guide, which has lots of useful information, and a map of the site.

Dublin
Level Contributor
270 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Picnic supplies for Ostia Antica

Thanks so much to you all for your replies. As always, you're an invaluable source of information. Bvlenci - thanks for the link - I'll be sure to print that off so we can make sense of what we're looking at!

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Picnic supplies for Ostia Antica

This is really one of my favorite ancient Roman sites. It doesn't have the drama of Pompeii, nor maybe the same artistic value, either. But for seeing and understanding what an ancient Roman city was, it can't be beat. It was a real working city, and it flourished for centuries, until its gradual decline in the early middle ages.

I've been there four or five times, and hope to go there many more times.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Picnic supplies for Ostia Antica

By the way, you might look for a little book called "Ostia Antica Then and Now", which has photos of many of the structures on the site, with transparent overlays that show what these buildings might have looked like in ancient times. You can find these books at souvenir shops in central Rome. Sort of the recreations may be a bit speculative, but it does help you to imagine what the city may have been like.