We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Easter - list of opening times at museums, sites etc...

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Easter - list of opening times at museums, sites etc...

There's now a (possibly still slightly provisional) list of the Easter Sunday and Easter Monday opening times at some of the various sites and museums around the country - arranged by Region, and then town or city - to be seen here:

beniculturali.it/mibac/export/MiBAC/sito-MiB…

Seems to cover only the national (state-run) places, many of which would normally have been closed on the Monday!

Hope that won't see too many itineraries being rewritten, but good news - I trust?

Peter

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Easter - list of opening times at museums, sites etc...

Very useful list, Peter! Thanks for posting it.

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Easter - list of opening times at museums, sites etc...

The civic museums, also usually closed Mondays, are also open Easter Sunday and, exceptionally, Easter Monday.

…museiincomuneroma.it/servizi/news/pasqua_20…

The civic museum most likely to interest visitors is probably the Capitoline.

Beijing, China
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Easter - list of opening times at museums, sites etc...

Hi there -

I am also stuck with Easter weekend at Rome as I was not aware of the festival as a Chinese. Is there a list of the open/close time for museums/sites in English? The posted list was shown in Italian.

Many thanks in advance!

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Easter - list of opening times at museums, sites etc...

Even though the list is in Italian, it shouldn't be hard for a non-Italian speaker to figure out. On Peter's list, the original one, go down the page until you get to the "Lazio" category. Then go down that list until you reach the city of "Roma" (column 2). The names of the museums are in column 1, and they should be recognizable to an English speaker. Column 4 has the opening hours (24-hour clock) on Easter, and column 5 on Easter Monday.

The above list is for state (i.e., national) museums. Zerlina's link, for civic (i.e., city) museums) doesn't work, and I can't find anything in English that gives news on the special opening. This link seems to work, but it doesn't seem to be available in English. When I click the "English" icon, I get a different page.

romacapitalenews.com/pasquetta-cosa-fare-a-r…

I've copied from the above page a list of the city museums that are usually closed on Mondays, but will be open on Easter Monday:

Musei Capitolini, Centrale Montemartini, Mercati di Traiano, Museo dell’Ara Pacis, Museo di Scultura Antica Giovanni Barracco, Museo della Civiltà Romana, Museo delle Mura, Villa di Massenzio, Museo di Roma-Palazzo Braschi, Museo Napoleonico, Casa Museo Alberto Moravia, Galleria d’Arte Moderna, MACRO, Museo Carlo Bilotti, Museo Pietro Canonica, Museo di Roma in Trastevere, Musei di Villa Torlonia, Museo Civico di Zoologia

I think the list is easily understandable. "Mercati di Traiano" is "Trajan's Market", and that's the only one that looks a bit difficult to me.

There are also some special musical events for Easter, including a free concert of Vivaldi works at 8 PM in the Basilica of Santi Dodici Apostoli, in the center of Rome, on Piazza dei Santi Apostoli. Places are limited, first come, first served.

Remember that the Colosseum, Roman Forum, and Palatine Hill are normally open on Mondays, and will be open on Easter Monday as well. They don't appear in the above lists, because they're always open on Monday.

The Vatican Museums are closed on Easter Monday, because it's a religious holiday. This is the only museum I know of that's closed on a day it's usually open.

As we've said before, there are very few closings for Easter, and on Easter Monday, there are lots of museums open that would usually be closed on a Monday.

5. Re: Easter - list of opening times at museums, sites etc...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 March 2014, 05:16