We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Europe tour

louisville
Level Contributor
49 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Europe tour

We have never been to europe and wanted to take a 2 week vacation and visit multiple countries. We really want to go to Paris and Italy. Which other countries should we visit? We like to explore new things so want to do a lot of sigh seeing. We only speak English so were wondering if there are tours which can take us around. Or do you think its best to explore on our own?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,241 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Europe tour

Check for an openjaw airticket, fly into Paris and out of Rome.

Flights Paris to Venice www.easyjet.com

Train Venice to Florence and Rome www.trenitalia.it/homepage_en.html

Accommodation www.venere.com

www.parisinfo.com www.timeout.com/paris

www.turismovenezia.it

www.discovertuscany.com

www.romeinfo.com

www.italia.it/en/home.html

Bloomington...
Level Contributor
163 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Europe tour

Two weeks sounds like so much time, but in reality it is not much when you consider that you will basically lose one day on the way over and have to plan for travel back.

My tips: don't plan too much on you first day because you will be jet lagged.

Try to pick a few places and stay at least two to three nights in each. You spend less time packing up, checking in, out, etc.

Stay in city centers. You may spend a bit more, but will spend less time in travel to sights you want to see.

Don't worry about language so much. Many people speak English so if you are polite and try to learn a few pleasantries you'll be ok.

Read Rick Steve's 'Europe Through the Back Door'. Great travel skills book.

Finally- just do it!!! Tour or on your own you will have a great time :)

3. Re: Europe tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 08 April 2012, 01:05
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,427 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Europe tour

You can easily explore on your own but don't get too ambitious with the number of places you see. Choose maybe three places, say Paris, Venice, Rome and divide your time among them with a bit more for Paris and Rome than Venice.

Fly Paris to Venice with a cheap airline (watch the luggage allowance) train Venice to Rome www.trenitalia.com (cheaper if bought well in advance) and fly home out of Rome. This is called an open jaws or multi city booking on websites.

Just remember that each time you travel you lose most of that day and the cities I have named have so much to see that any fewer than 4 days would almost be a waste. If you have a full 14 days I would do Paris 5 nights, Venice 3-4nights, Rome 5 nights.

You may want to choose other cities instead of these of course, it's your holiday. But only 3.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
542 posts
371 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Europe tour

Agree with the above advice. Focus on a few locations and give yourself enough time to really get to know them, and realize you can't see everything in one trip.

As an example, here's an itinerary we did in two weeks:

Fly into Paris - 5 nights, including a day trip to Normandy by train

Train to Cannes - 2 nights (French Riviera)

Train to Rapallo - 3 nights (Italian Riviera, day trip to Cinque Terre)

Train to Rome - 4 nights

Getting by with just English is not too difficult - it is nice to at least learn a few words to say hello, etc. in French & Italian, but as you'll be focusing on tourist destinations you'll generally find someone able to help you in English.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Europe tour

A variation on Seattle's trip would be to take the train to some city in Switzerland after leaving Paris, and then continuing to Italy by train through the Alps. My sister did something like that, spending two nights in Lucerne, when she came to visit me in Italy. The train ride through the Alps is very scenic. The trip from Paris to Lucerne is about five hours, and from Lucerne to Venice is a little over six hours.

You could do something like this:

Four nights in Paris

Two nights in Lucerne

Three nights in Venice, changing trains in Milan

Two nights in Florence

Four nights in Rome

That's actually fifteen nights, so you might have to cut one night somewhere, unless you can squeeze an extra day or two out of your weekends. I often try to leave home on a Friday evening, and return on Sunday, giving me an extra few days out of a two-week trip. Where to cut, if necessary, would depend on your interests. You could also stay fewer nights in one city to give more time to another, but a large city like Paris or Rome really requires four nights if you want to see more than a glimpse.

Edited: 06 April 2012, 09:41
SA
Level Contributor
278 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Europe tour

There are so many different ways you can connect Paris and Rome. I would probably leave Cannes and Normandy out and spend more time in Paris. In Italy Florence is such a lovely place, and so is Venice - both are definitely worth for a day or two, and in Rome you could again spend a few days easily.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,153 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Europe tour

As above. Choose three places max, and book an open flight ticket.

Otherwise you'll spend more time seeing planes and trains than the fabulous sites.

Paris-Venice-Rome

Paris-Florence-Rome

I would keep two destinations in the same country, or you will lose too much time at the airport--both getting checked in ahead of time, and traveling from the airport to the city center. Trains are city center to city center.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
3,178 posts
319 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Europe tour

My suggestion: Fly into London, take the train to Paris, take the train to Rome and fly home. How long you spend in each city depends on what interests you. Purchase a few guide books.I never take a tour. English is spoken everywhere not to worry. Happy travels!

10. Re: Europe tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 00:15