We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Refilling water bottles at fountains

Ottawa
Level Contributor
963 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Refilling water bottles at fountains

I keep reading that you can refill your water bottle at fountains around Rome. Silly question, but what do these fountains look like? I know Rome is full of fountains and want to be sure I use ones with potable water.

Trevi Fountain
Fountains, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Piazza di Spagna
Architectural Buildings, Fountains, Historic Walking Areas, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Bloomington...
Level Contributor
163 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Refilling water bottles at fountains

They are talking about the 'nasoni', which are not to be confused with the decorative fountains that you see in the piazzas. (although i did see folks getting water from those too...) the ones we used were just pipes that have a spout where you just fill your bottle. The spout kind of seems like a nose- naso meaning nose in Italian . These wee a godsend on hot days and the water is good.

2. Re: Refilling water bottles at fountains

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 07 April 2012, 12:35
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,488 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Refilling water bottles at fountains

This article will help

www.romebuddy.com/loves/toconsume.html

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,459 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Refilling water bottles at fountains

The water from the nasoni is cold and wonderful. On the right side of the Trevi fountain is a constantly flowing spout of water where you can fill your water bottle also.

In Bernini's Colonnade in St. Peter's Square are several water fountains where many fill their bottles too.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Refilling water bottles at fountains

Not quite all of Rome's aqueducts deliver water that's safe for drinking - so be sure you avoid fountains that have signs like these:

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/126961104

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/137472497

... and, obviously, any that are in use as bird baths!

Peter

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Refilling water bottles at fountains

Here is a "nasone" (meaning "big nose"):

https:/…

There's a hole on the top of the spout, so if you stop up the spout, the water comes out the top, and it becomes a drinking fountain:

https:/…

Ottawa
Level Contributor
963 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Refilling water bottles at fountains

Thank you all. Now I know what to look for. I'm thrilled to know I won't need to clutter the world with yet more empty plastic bottles.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Refilling water bottles at fountains

Trust you won't instead by flying a metal water bottle with carrying holster all the way across the Atlantic and back?

Only - half - kidding!

Peter

Roma
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
12,721 posts
656 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Refilling water bottles at fountains

The nasoni are not the only fountains where you can fill bottles: you can do it also in other fountains like

this one in Via Lata

…wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Fontana_del_facchin…

this one in Piazza San Marco

gogoroma.it/cultura-cosa-visitare/fontane-ro…

this one in Via degli Staderari

www.romasegreta.it/fontana-dei-libri.html

Edited: 06 April 2012, 15:59
Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Refilling water bottles at fountains

ACEA, the water company, offers a "nasoni" map, so you can pick one from their 200...

www.acea.it/media.aspx/mappa_nasoni_cartina…

... and, in the very fine print on this leaflet, some background and history in English...

acea.it/media.aspx/…

Or there's now even a nasoni app...

www.acea.it/ViewDocument.aspx…

Makes you wonder what all those ancient emperors and Renaissance popes who built the aqueducts would have thought?

Peter