We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 Day Itinerary Review

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
502 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
4 Day Itinerary Review

Hello Everyone,

My wife and me are going to be in Rome from 15/6 Fri arriving from Florence at 1PM to 19/6 Tue departing to Nice at 3PM. This is a rough itinerary that I have compiled. Could you please review the same and offer opinions and suggestions.

Day 1: Borghese Gallery, Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, Piazza Navona.

Day 2: The Roman Forum, Palantine Hill, Colosseum, Pantheon.

Day 3: Free (still compiling a list of things to do)

Day 4: Vatican City, Trastevere.

Day 5: Depart for Nice

I have chosen the following considering the Roma Pass which I can use for Day 1-3 and choosing the two expensive place to visit first.

Could you suggest me places I could visit on Day 3??

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 Day Itinerary Review

What are your main interests? Art? Ancient history? Something else?

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
502 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 Day Itinerary Review

My wife loves art and history whereas I love architecture.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
34,287 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 Day Itinerary Review

Day 1) I would put the pantheon with the piazza navona as they are only about 5 minutes apart.

Day2) you can add the capitolini musuems to this day. If you are using the romapass you will get a discounted entry fee.

Day3) You can visit the baths of caracalla or the baths of diocletian. You might also add the Ara Pacis or any of the wonderful churches in Rome. All have amazing architecture and artwork. They are the best of both worlds.

Donna

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
27,725 posts
5,778 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 Day Itinerary Review

How about some church visits. See my post (13.) within the following thread for some church visits that we very much enjoy during trips to Rome.

tripadvisor.com/…40027321

Have a nice trip to Rome and Florence.

Definitely allow some time for strolling and exploring Villa Borghese, where you find the wonderful Galleries Borghese. Both are just very special places. The links below offer some pictures of the Villa if you are interested.

Galleries Borghese

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g187791-d522…

Villa Borghese

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g187791-d190…

Hope this is helpful and that you've a great time in Rome.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
502 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 Day Itinerary Review

Hey dbabe and bvlenci,

I have come up with the following itinerary based on my research. I am gonna buy a Roma Pass and hence planned to go to Borghese and Colosseum first.

Day 1: Reach Rome at 12 noon. Settle into the hotel and head to Borghese Galley where I will book a slot for 3pm. After that visit the Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain and the Pantheon (if time permits) and head down to Piazza Navona.

Q - Does this day 1 make sense??

Day 2: Start with the Roman Forum at 9 am and continue onto Palantine Hill. Once done go to the Colosseum and take the underground tour at 1pm.

Q - Will i be able to complete the Forum and the Hill by 1pm?? If i reach earlier than the time for my tour will they allow me inside earlier without waiting in the line? Are the Trajan Markets close by and can i visit them this day??

Day 3: Capitolini Musuems, Baths of Carcalla, Pantheon (if not on day one) Still planning day 3 and not too worried as most places that need reservations are already covered on the other days.

Day 4: I have a booking of the Scavi Tour at 1:15. I have read that monday mornings are areally crowded when it comes to the museums.

Q - What time should i go to the museums?? Should i go to Castel Sant'Angelo in the morning followed by Scavi Tour and Vatican Museums or the other way round.

I am looking forward to book the tickets and confirm the timings for most of the attractions and hence might have repeated a few things just to be sure.

I really appreciate all the help and suggestions you guys give.

Virginia
Level Contributor
2,035 posts
491 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 Day Itinerary Review

I went on a Monday morning to the vatican museums in may and didn't think it was overly crowded. It was crowded but not anything like the crowds experienced visiting Versailles on a non-fountain show weekday. ;-)

If you start at the Vatican Museums early enough you should have time to grab something to eat after before your Scavi Tour which I'm sure you'd have to be there early for.

I think Castle St. Angelo is closed on Mondays.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 Day Itinerary Review

The "Scavi" tour ends in St. Peter's Basilica, about an hour after the tour starts. The latest tour you can get at the Vatican Museums is 3 PM: 3 PM is actually a good time to go there, but with only 45 minutes between the end of your tour and the last admission to the Vatican Museums, you wouldn't have much time to visit the Basilica; it takes about 15 minutes to walk from there to the entrance of the Museums. If you'd be happy with just a quick half hour in the Basilica, then I would book the Museum entrance at 3 PM. If you want to spend longer than that in the Basilica, you could either go there in the morning (when, however, it's quite crowded) or return there after the Museums tour for another half hour or so before it closes. The Basilica is usually very uncrowded in the late afternoon.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
502 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 4 Day Itinerary Review

I managed to change the time of the scavi tour to 11:30am and hence now have enough time to do the basilica and then the vatican museums. Just a thought after a little bit more reading - is the official guided tour better or the audio guide??

Any thoughts on the colosseum plan??

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 4 Day Itinerary Review

I've never used either; I've been to the Vatican Museums four or five times, and always use a guide book, usually the Michelin Green Guide, or sometimes the Blue Guide. However, I would probably choose the audio tour.

10. Re: 4 Day Itinerary Review

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 12:16