We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant's in Rome with Toddler

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant's in Rome with Toddler

Hi all

I am visiting Rome in May for 5 days..Looking forward to all the sightseeing and the good food!. Can anyone recommend nice restaurants in Rome and also are kid friendly?

Thanks

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,498 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant's in Rome with Toddler

I can honestly say that Italy is about the most child-friendly place I've even been, and Rome is included in that. Most restaurants will be happy to prepare a special small plate for your child, even though you don't usually see "kids' menus" here. You can ask, for example, for a small plate of spaghetti dressed just with butter and grated cheese. In a pizzeria, you can ask for a small pizza for a little child. You can also just ask for a small plate on the side so that you can serve the child from your plate. Most restaurants have special chairs for toddlers.

It would help to know where you're staying, because Rome is a big place that has hundreds (maybe thousands) of restaurants.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
107 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant's in Rome with Toddler

Most places are extremely accommodating for young travelers. Some places have special kiddie menus, but even if they don't, they are happy to make a kiddie version of something.

That being said, I can't think of a place that is more or less good for kids... Extremely pricey fancy spots, that require you to have a specific dress code, are probably the only spots I can think of that are to be avoided.

UK
Level Contributor
2,849 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant's in Rome with Toddler

Are you thinking of lunch or dinner?

I see from your other post that your son is 1yr old. Are you looking for somewhere that offers a high chair and therefore he'll eat alongside you or will he be in a pushchair?

Somewhere that has an outside seating might be preferable as he could find the passing distractions entertaining.

Do you have an area or budget in mind?

Liguria, Italy
Level Contributor
752 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant's in Rome with Toddler

Maybe you already know this, but most Romans do not eat not until 8pm at the very earliest, and even though you might find a restaurant open at 7:30, the kitchen is really not geared up to start whisking food out to your table. Also, an Italian meal is arranged as being a multi-course meal, with the courses served in sequence. There is often a long time between the courses.

So while it is true you can bring your child to 99 percent of eateries in Rome and the culture is very child friendly, you need to be prepared for a late meal and a long meal with your child.

Many people for a 5-day stay with a small child rent apartments just to get around some of the difficulties for their kids of the long Italian meal and how late it is served.

Sorry to sound as if I am being negative. You will no doubt find your child is very welcome in Rome. But if you didn't know some of differences in eating culture, I wanted you to have a heads up.

I disagree that you can readily expect eateries to have a chair suitable for a one-year old.

Edited: 11 April 2012, 16:22
sydney
Level Contributor
595 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant's in Rome with Toddler

I agree it is very hard find restaurants in Rome that offer high chairs. You could bring a portable one, I guess.

The only places that open early are tourist traps where you will be served luke warm slop in a chaotic environment. The best places, the local places open well into the evening. Italians dine late so keep that in mind. I have seen parents with little bubs lingering over a long meal so it isn't that unusual but baby is normally seated on the lap or held in arms.

Eating out at lunch would be the easiest option for a dining experience in the city. Here are a couple of options for you.

Gusto Piazza Augusto Imperatore 9.

Gigetto in the ghetto on Via del Portico d'Ottavia 21

Volpetti Piu in testaccio on Via Marmorata next to Volpetti is good too.

Good luck. If you keep the dining culture of the city in mind and go with the flow, you will have a great time.

Francoise

Excusemewhereis.blogspot.com

Edited: 12 April 2012, 02:30
St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,272 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant's in Rome with Toddler

Many Rome restaurants open for dinner at 7pm (maybe these are the touristy ones?). The locals do not roll in until 8pm when the Americans are done already with eating.

Since lunch can run on as late as 3pm, maybe you should just fill up at lunch and eat pizza by weight take-out for dinner.

Eatting with a toddler in your lap at a restaurant could be some people's idea of Hell.

Des Moines, Iowa
Level Contributor
19 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant's in Rome with Toddler

I'll be traveling to Rome with a baby in May/June. I'm planning to bring along a travel seat - it's a pretty cool invention and slips over the back of a regular sized restaurant chair. If the chair has a high back, a booster seat can be placed beneath it so the child isn't hanging from the seat. :)

amazon.com/My-Little-Seat-Infant-Seats/…

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,498 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurant's in Rome with Toddler

The design of that infant seat doesn't convince me very much. There's a lot of variation in the height of restaurant seat backs, and hardly any in the height of booster seats. If the restaurant had a booster seat, you wouldn't need it, anyway. Plus the seat tops vary widely in width; if the seat is too wide it may not fit, and if too narrow, the baby may slip. Here is a web page of a company that supplies seats to restaurants in Italy:

http://www.sediarreda.com/it/index.php?pAct=shw20&pPar[cat_cod]=contr010&pPar[txt]=Sedie&gclid=CL3t3cWMsK8CFUZJ3wodOC5tHw

Looking at the photos, I see a lot that I don't think it would work well with. Especially the ones with a great big gap between the seat top and the seat.

Des Moines, Iowa
Level Contributor
19 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurant's in Rome with Toddler

I've used a similar product (the one I have was homemade, but it's the same concept) in restaurants in the U.S. and it works quite well - even with chairs similar to those in the link provided above. Younger children will need the restraint even with the booster - the fabric 'seat' kind of locks them in and the booster provides height for a taller backed chair. The straps are completely adjustable to account for width variations, as well as those with gaps in the back.

Of course there are certainly seats out there that this won't be ideal for. I find it to be a useful product.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurant's in Rome with Toddler

The high chairs in Rome restarauts (the ones tha happen to have them!) usually are just taller versions than the grown up chairs and have no straps and are not very sturdy.

Most casual restaurants in Rome will be kid friendly, but I find it helps to go the moment they open so that you miss the rush. I have also found many restaurants to be fairly quiet, which makes it difficult with a loud toddler. One of my favorite restaurants to bring my kids to is Da Augusto in trastevere. It's very tiny, but loud and boisterous so any noise your child will make will most likely go unnoticed and they are fairly accomodating to kids. But you mmust get there when they open whether lunch or dinner because they get mobbed!!! I think they open @ noon and @ 8pm