We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Perugia and Assisi Day Trip from Rome with Viator Tours

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
B R
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
7 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Perugia and Assisi Day Trip from Rome with Viator Tours

Has anyone gone on Perugia and Assisi Day Trip from Rome with Viator Tours? How did you like it? Would you do it again?

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,414 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Perugia and Assisi Day Trip from Rome with Viator Tours

Viator is a reseller of tours. You have to find out what the actual tour company is and look for reviews of that company.

Virginia
Level Contributor
2,033 posts
390 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Perugia and Assisi Day Trip from Rome with Viator Tours

We did Assisi on our own as a day trip from Rome and loved it.

I would never pay a tour to take us there. Especially since you can easily see it on your own.

We took an early train from Rome so we arrived in Assisi by 9:30AM. By the time we caught the bus and arrived at the top of the car park in Assisi we were ready to explore. First we walked up to Rocca Maggiore (a castle/fortress that sits on top of Assisi) which had amazing views. After about 1 hour there we walked back down the trail and down the small picturesque streets. Checking out Santa Chiara and a building in the Piazza there that once housed a store that printed fake passports for Jews during WWII. We walked to Piazza del Comune (downhill) and had a delicious lunch at trattori degli Umbria. After lunch we checked out the Temple of Minerva (now a church). If you go, be sure to check out the drain where the blood from ceremonies in Roman days would go. We walked directly across the street to the Tunnel area and looked at the paintings on the ceiling. If you find the Turkey drawing on the ceiling you'll have found what's estimated as the very first depiction of the Turkey in Europe. :-)

We continued walking downhill and turned down a small lane to find the VERY old Church of Santo Stefano (we weren't all into visiting churches in Italy... but this one may win as my favorite because it was tiny, extremely old, and just really cool.) From there you can easily continue walking downhill to get to the Basilica of St. Francis. We enjoyed going down to the tomb. Some amazing energy down there!

It was a very easy do-it yourself day trip from Rome. We easily caught the bus by the car-park at the low side of Assisi by St. Francis Basilica back to the train station and were back in Rome by 7:30PM(ish).

The train ride was around or just under 2 hours. The way back was great to get off your feet and relax or take a nap. The train ends in Rome so no worries of missing your stop if you fall asleep ;-)

Would have loved to visit Perugia but I just don't see how we would have had the time as Assisi easily took up a full day trip day. :-)

Edited: 13 April 2012, 01:40
Carlton
Level Contributor
38 posts
328 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Perugia and Assisi Day Trip from Rome with Viator Tours

Hi, while I don't like posting negatives on TA, my experience with Viator is this: booked a walking tour of Cordoba in Spain, waited and waited after confirming by phone the day before, guide didn't show. When I phoned guide explained they were having trouble with the company that employed them, not Viator. Second one was a walking evening tour in Venice, not great we left halfway thru. I wouldn't book with them again, go for a local company directly.

Virginia
Level Contributor
2,033 posts
390 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Perugia and Assisi Day Trip from Rome with Viator Tours

MissKDonkey - Or just do it yourself :-)

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,414 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Perugia and Assisi Day Trip from Rome with Viator Tours

Viator is just a reseller of tours operated by other companies. They often have good bargains, but you have to find out what company is actually operating the tour and look for reviews of that company. Viator is just a reseller of tours operated by other companies. They often have good bargains, but you have to find out what company is actually operating the tour and look for reviews of that company.

Henderson, Nevada
Level Contributor
88 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Perugia and Assisi Day Trip from Rome with Viator Tours

Well said VTJedi--Just do it Yourself!! Then if anything goes wrong, we all know that we need only blame ourseves.

Carlton
Level Contributor
38 posts
328 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Perugia and Assisi Day Trip from Rome with Viator Tours

Hi Vt, sorry if my post was unclear, what I was really saying is I wouldn't use Viator, again I 'd just do it myself!!

palm beach gardens...
Level Contributor
33 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Perugia and Assisi Day Trip from Rome with Viator Tours

I enjoyed this review very much. We want to do this very thing. We will be in Rome right on the street by the Vatican Museum. Did you get the train from Termini Station???

How much was it and how long a walk is the day in Assisi? Last time I was there I was on a bus tour and we did walk the streets. Where exactly do you get the bus back to the train station in Assisi??? You said back at the car park on the lower side??? Is it different than the stop you arrived at by bus?? Just asking.

Thank you again for this review. bevierose

Wolverhampton...
Level Contributor
940 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Perugia and Assisi Day Trip from Rome with Viator Tours

Sorry to jump in on a thread, but i was just wondering if anybody has any experience of booking any tours from Rome with an excursion company? If so whom?

We will be in Rome for quite a few days and i wanted to keep my options open incase i fancied a change of sceneery and seeing some more of Italy apart from Rome.

Thanks in advance

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
80 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Perugia and Assisi Day Trip from Rome with Viator Tours

We did a pizza making class and market tour with Walks of Italy, lovely guide,lots of food samples, great salami,cheese,balsamic vinegar, coffee and gelato. pizza class was lots of fun! The tour took about 4 hours and we did not need any dinner that night. Fun and informative day out.