We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

problem with train reservation

new york, ny
Level Contributor
439 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
problem with train reservation

I'm trying to order tickets on the trenitalia site. I've registered and have received a temporary password which I'm then directed to change. When I try to do this on the site I keep getting a "generic error" message. Anyone else encounter this problem? What am I doing wrong?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
85,400 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: problem with train reservation

Don't bother about registration. You do not need it to buy tickets. See roninrome.com/%20transportation/booking-on-t…

new york, ny
Level Contributor
439 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: problem with train reservation

Thank you very much. I was able to make the reservation without registering.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
107 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: problem with train reservation

The TrenItalia site is notorious for not being user-friendly. They seem to be working on it more and more, but alas, it's still not designed very well and people run into errors, or can't seem to book with no clear message why.

In any case, rarely do tickets from city to city in Italy need to be bought beforehand online...you can get them at the station, usually even same day, The exception is holiday weekends or strike days maybe. Also, some discounted fares for pre-purchasing may be wirth booking ahead, but if you aren't taking advantage of any early-booking discount, I'd not bother either.

Angelo/LivItaly Tours

4. Re: problem with train reservation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 14:17